Help sexing please

Unearthed wonder

Chirping
Sep 21, 2018
All photos are of the same 2 chicks. Copper maran x frizzle. I initially thought one of each but now not so sure. Any idea?
9C5FADAC-5335-4FB8-A016-42B3ED23986B.jpeg

Attachments

• 20CFBDC7-51C8-476E-9D8D-B54446653E11.jpeg
    20CFBDC7-51C8-476E-9D8D-B54446653E11.jpeg
    775.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 4E955296-0F26-4481-BA14-D070C2AF8BAD.jpeg
    4E955296-0F26-4481-BA14-D070C2AF8BAD.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 2
  • C902062F-2BBF-40BC-B7CB-8352FC3F02A8.jpeg
    C902062F-2BBF-40BC-B7CB-8352FC3F02A8.jpeg
    562.2 KB · Views: 2
To me it looks like whether they're boys or girls you've got 2 of a kind. Aside from the combs, the other good thing to compare is their legs. If one is starting to sprout nice thick legs and big feet - that's almost always a male. With the adorably feathered legs I can't tell in the photos if there's any difference there, but they seem to be the same size too. I'm in the same dilemma with a couple of silkies (first silkies). Either they're both girls or they're both boys...

To me it looks like whether they're boys or girls you've got 2 of a kind. Aside from the combs, the other good thing to compare is their legs. If one is starting to sprout nice thick legs and big feet - that's almost always a male. With the adorably feathered legs I can't tell in the photos if there's any difference there, but they seem to be the same size too. I'm in the same dilemma with a couple of silkies (first silkies). Either they're both girls or they're both boys...
They looked like baby penguins when they hatched. They are so cute! They inherited the feathered legs of their dad so it is seriously hard to tell. But one seems to have a more hen like stance most of the time. Unfortunately I can’t keep them if they are boys. I just had to get rid of the 2 boys that could have been the dad. Luckily, they will go to some lovely friends down the road with acreage if they do turn out to be boys. Our poor Silkie will be back to the bottom of the pecking order.

They looked like baby penguins when they hatched. They are so cute! They inherited the feathered legs of their dad so it is seriously hard to tell. But one seems to have a more hen like stance most of the time. Unfortunately I can’t keep them if they are boys. I just had to get rid of the 2 boys that could have been the dad. Luckily, they will go to some lovely friends down the road with acreage if they do turn out to be boys. Our poor Silkie will be back to the bottom of the pecking order.
Well fingers crossed they're girls then! My one foray into frizzles came from the frizzle bin at a farm store and they were both boys. As they were bantams with short little legs their prospects for mating were ... limited ... so they went to a good home. (my profile pic is one of them). Same thing when I tried Polish. So I'm trying to buck the trend with the silkies! Nothing better than good broody hens. We've got one with 8 chicks that are now over 2 months old and they're still together.

Well fingers crossed they're girls then! My one foray into frizzles came from the frizzle bin at a farm store and they were both boys. As they were bantams with short little legs their prospects for mating were ... limited ... so they went to a good home. (my profile pic is one of them). Same thing when I tried Polish. So I'm trying to buck the trend with the silkies! Nothing better than good broody hens. We've got one with 8 chicks that are now over 2 months old and they're still together.
Our 2 little bantam roosters did an amazing job with our commercial layers. It was quite hilarious. I should have kept more of the silkie and frizzle eggs, although I was about to have cancer surgery so decided keeping only 3 was enough. So kept the frizzle ones

Are either particularly late blooming breeds?

For now, they look pullet to me - combs are still quite pale and no visible wattles. Must be hell trying to ID early hackles and saddles on a frizzle bird.

I've found with all my boys, across different breeds, if they have any black in their feathering, it tends to develop a sheen around 5 weeks, while the girls feathers remain matte. - Even my little golden campine roos, who are mostly golds and browns, have a bit if a luster in the darker parts of their feathering.

Back
Top Bottom