Help sexing RIR?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lajohnston, Mar 11, 2014.

1. lajohnston

lajohnston Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Any idea what I've got here? They're around 10 days old I think. One has longer wing feathers than the other so I'm assuming they're different sexes just don't know which is which. Also, what do you do with the ones you don't want? I promised my husband no Roos. [​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Wing feather development sexing is only supposed to work with some breeds, but it always seemed to work with my mongrels. Development times vary in different breeds, different families etc, and of course there's not necessarily any guarantee they all hatched on the same day. Even a day's difference can matter.

However, they don't look like 10-day-olds to me, they look a lot younger, not even a week old. But some are slow.

Generally speaking, females tend to grow out all wing feathers at the same rate whereas males tend to show their secondaries before anything else, and develop a bit slower. It's a bit early to tell especially without crest pics, which are generally more reliable.

As for males you don't want, you can cull them as soon as you know what gender they are. Cull can merely mean rehoming, if killing isn't something you're ok with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by