Help sexing these day olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alexandherpets, Nov 8, 2013.

1. alexandherpets

alexandherpets Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have three turkens that hatched, and I believe one is a female but I'm not sure about the others. Is there a way to know with this specific breed? They hatched this morning. Also, they hatched on the 19th day , with the 20th day being at 5 o'clock today. Should I have seen pips from the other eggs yet? I don't see anything and I'm worried .

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Other than sex linked matings the only reliable way to determine gender is through vent sexing. Anything else is pure conjecture. Unless there is uneven heating in your incubator, I believe that you should see some activity in the remaining eggs if they are viable. I would suggest waiting at least another 24 hours. Good luck.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Unless they are sex links birds you won't be able to tell the sex UNLESS you vent sex OR DNA sex the birds. I DNA sex my birds and found a lab that will do it for 10 dollars a Sample. You would pluck a few chest feathers out and send them to the lab. once the lab recieves the feathers it takes about two days for results. Hope this helps and best wishes for your chicks.

4. france4862

france4862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    At what age do roosters start crowing. I have 28 new chicks in Wisconsin and they are doing great. I have pullet rainbow assortment but um sure some will be roos

5. bhaugh

bhaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Can you post the lab online if they take out of state feathers for sexing?

Thanks
    Barb

6. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    The lab I use is called Accu-metrics .its located in Canada. it serves world wide. I highly recommend expiditing the shipping because that's what takes the longest. Once the sample is recieved it only takes about two days for results. use two or three feathers per sample and pluck them from the breast with tweasers. I used a leg band system to tell the birds apart. Example every sample will have it's own sealed envelope then send them in a bigger envelope . lable the sample by the leg band colors like buff- green or buff red or buff blue. When you get the results they will read example buff red male buff green female buff blue male. You leave the leg bands on until you get the results and can seperate or note the sexes. this prevents any confusion. its only 10 dollars no tax per sample. Hope this helps you out. Best wishes :)

7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by