Help Sexing Wyandottes!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by UrbanBlueShamrock, Aug 3, 2011.

1. UrbanBlueShamrock

UrbanBlueShamrock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Berkeley Springs
    Hi I am trying to figure out if all of my chickens are roosters! I have 4 Wynandottes. They are all 4 months old. Im afraid that they are all roosters though! I am trying to get pictures to post. Ive looked at a lot of the previous posts for this and had a few questions. Does a "fuzzy" chicken butt mean hen? Also all of their saddle feathers are kind of pointy looking but I wasnt sure if that was a trait that comes with the lacing or not? Plus the one with the fuzzy butt has a super stop sign bright red large comb and wattle? all other physical traits looks more like a girl. None of them have big tail feathers yet. And none of them crow. I know there is very little info to go on but I'd appreciate any help or advice on what to look for. I will try to get pictures asap.

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Pictures? [​IMG]

3. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    In my limited experience with my 2 girls, both had red wattles and combs very, very early, I knew we had 2 girls by age 10 weeks or so, the coloring was different and such, so don't strictly go by color, once you post some pics we can probably give you a better idea, or if you need pics I can upload any week up to 21 since our girls just turned 21 weeks.

4. UrbanBlueShamrock

Jun 10, 2011
    Berkeley Springs
    Thankfully the baby took a long nap so I was able to get pics sooner than I thought. There are 4 chickens in question:

[​IMG]

here are my favorite 3. For future pics will number left to right 1-3

[​IMG]

#1 she doesnt have any saddle feathers but she doesnt have any feathers back there at moment either from molting or being picked on there are just pins

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also heres the recluse who i think is a wynandotte:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone for you input!

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    all cockerels, number 1 is the only one I am a bit iffy on

6. UrbanBlueShamrock

Jun 10, 2011
    Berkeley Springs
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! That puts up to 8 roosters!!! [​IMG] and all of my favorites too. . .

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Yup. All cockerels. [​IMG]

8. UrbanBlueShamrock

Jun 10, 2011
    Berkeley Springs
    Just b/c I desperately want to keep one why do you say the one with no saddle feathers albeit no feathers at all back there is a rooster?

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    The bird's roo-ish stance, the irregular lacing on the feathers, the thickness of the legs, the size and redness of the comb and wattles are what tell me boy. Also the feathers on its back fall down to the sides like saddle feathers do. A hen wouldn't have them like that.

Wish you could keep one though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  10. wdc1952

wdc1952 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Kearney, Missouri
    Yes, you have 4 BLRW cockerals and the last pic looks to be a Blue Wyandotte cockeral.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by