Help! sexlinks!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 9farmgirl9, May 15, 2011.

1. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    ok i know what to cross to make red sex links but it there a breed of hen that has the silver gene that lays well. How well do delawares lay? Please help thanks

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Delawares lay well with light in the winter. Barred rock and silver laced wyandottes will make a sexlink with a red rooster. Believe it or not but a red broiler lays pretty well and will make a sexlink of good size.

3. 9farmgirl9

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Quote:So i am planning on using a RIR roo but im still im not sure on what hen,

Right now i have 21 RIR hens and 3 RIR roos and im not sure why but the chicks that i hatch are sexlink, not like white and red but the females are red and males blonde.
    But i want to replace my flock next year and i want the next flock to have sexlinks.

if i used RIR hen and a white roo wwould that have the opposte affect, And whatever breeds i decide on i want excellent laying and sexxlinks thats all i want any breeds that are those standards

Thanks [​IMG]

4. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa

Right now i have 21 RIR hens and 3 RIR roos and im not sure why but the chicks that i hatch are sexlink, not like white and red but the females are red and males blonde.
    But i want to replace my flock next year and i want the next flock to have sexlinks.

if i used RIR hen and a white roo wwould that have the opposte affect, And whatever breeds i decide on i want excellent laying and sexxlinks thats all i want any breeds that are those standards

Thanks [​IMG]

I am new to this breeding too but I am also doing what you are doing. I bought RIR roo and RIR pullets but I also bought barred rock pullets and SLW pullets. I know that if I cross the RIR roo with the Barred Rock hen I will get black sex links and the RIR roo with the SLW should give me red sexlinks. I was going to use Delaware but where I got my chicks from doesn't have delaware so I think I pull the silver gene I need for the red sex link from the SLW. If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

5. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The only thing it can be is the hens have the silver gene somehow. The white roo wont work you need the red roo and traditionally a RIR wont work for the hen unless it has the silver gene somewhere.

Thanks [​IMG]

6. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    You are right about the crosses. Some hatcheries cross a White rock to a delaware (I think) then breed offspring to a red rooster and that seems to give a better quality sexlink.

Thanks [​IMG]

I am new to this breeding too but I am also doing what you are doing. I bought RIR roo and RIR pullets but I also bought barred rock pullets and SLW pullets. I know that if I cross the RIR roo with the Barred Rock hen I will get black sex links and the RIR roo with the SLW should give me red sexlinks. I was going to use Delaware but where I got my chicks from doesn't have delaware so I think I pull the silver gene I need for the red sex link from the SLW. If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

7. 9farmgirl9

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Quote:I am new to this breeding too but I am also doing what you are doing. I bought RIR roo and RIR pullets but I also bought barred rock pullets and SLW pullets. I know that if I cross the RIR roo with the Barred Rock hen I will get black sex links and the RIR roo with the SLW should give me red sexlinks. I was going to use Delaware but where I got my chicks from doesn't have delaware so I think I pull the silver gene I need for the red sex link from the SLW. If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

What is a SLW? And do they lay good, or barred rocks they lay good?

8. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    SLW silver laced wyandotte and they lay about 220 eggs a year.
    Quote:
    What is a SLW? And do they lay good, or barred rocks they lay good?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by