HELP !She now walks in circles!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vangela, Oct 24, 2009.

1. vangela

vangela Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2009
    Help ! Going in circles, stroke? marek's or botulism?

A week ago my chicken was a little slow however, I did not notice any signs of illness. Because she did not want to sit on the roost and stayed on the ground not coming out the coop I took her into my house.
    Not long after, I noticed she could hardly walk, fell many times, and her left wing drooped at times.
    However, with vitamines, e, yogurt , egg yolk and her laying pellets she improved. gained weight and always liked her fav. snacks. All seemed to go just fine vet prescribed sulphur dropps for 7 days suspected could be cocci, she had no more diareah and nice round dropping.
    All looked fine, I would let her out in the sun for 10 minutes.
    A scary thing happened tonight.It looked like an epileptic attack. Her legs sliding to each side and no control over her body, Also, she sits up too straight. or goes with her belly over the ground. I had her on papertowels and let her walk on the carpet to see if that makes a difference,
    It looks like something in her brain is not right or something inside is bothering her. However, no grey eyes, no bloody poop. can chickens get a stroke? She is not always paralized it comes and goes. strange behavior not sure where to go from here. anybody any idea? what is the prognosis and if there is little hope, do I have to be prepared to euthanise her? Please help. thanks a lot.

2. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    how long did you give her the vitamins and egg, etc..?
    what vitamins? what dose?
    has she been eating?
    you say she started this a week ago?
    yes...they can have a stroke..
    has she been with the other chickens? could she have been pecked? fallen? injured?
    has she had access to any chemicals (lawn/garden/motor)?
    what breed is she?

get her back on Poly-vi-sol and and Vitamin E, and mixture..
    she might need prednisone...
    link to treatment..

http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=2008&action=display&thread=429

3. sammi

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    has she ever been wormed? did the vet test her for worms?
    if so when? and what was used?

you know..roundworms can cause a form of botulism..

just a thought.

might want to take a fecal sample to the vet to be tested.

4. vangela

Oct 14, 2009
    thanks a lot for your reply.
    it all started about a week ago but before the vitamins she was given sulphur vet suspected cocci.
    she is since 5 days on vitamins, E 400 mg one capsul and polyvisal 3 drops daily.
    she was skinny when I took her into the house she has put on some weight.
    I do not use chemicals but at one point i thought she could have eaten mushrooms.
    in my humble opinion it looked like a poison reaction first with diareah.
    breed: she is a mix i think it is called sexalink. looks like rhode island. fairly large breed.
    she and her comb has shrunken about 20% in size.
    she does not like the yogurt and egg yolk mix but i now feed her egg yolk only
    yogurt i give directly with some honey or is this a bad idea?
    she eats her pellets and drinks water. purks up when i talk to her and talks back.
    so sad to see her like this.
    she is 3 1/2 years we have 8 3 1/2 years and 5 4 months old. none of them have been vaccinated as far as i know. all are free range during the afternoon.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  5. vangela

Oct 14, 2009
    interseting you mentioned it. she just was dewormed a few weeks before. that is when i first noticed she was not so purky.
    so dewormed the whole flock.

6. sammi

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    what did you use to worm?

if they free range it's possible she got a some sort of poison plant or toxin..like a dead rodent..
    hard to say..

it's a concern that she was thin..

it's sad and scary when they have this type of symptom..

giving the egg and yogurt separately is ok...she needs the nutrition..

you say she has been on 3 drops for and vit E for 5 days?

how are her droppings now?

read the info in the link..for dose and time..

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  7. vangela

Oct 14, 2009
    Sammi,
    thanks so much the link was indeed very helpfull , "threehorses" had the same suggestions .
    .the wormer I used was piperazine dDihyrochloryde 53% 1 tbsp per gallon of water
    i am tempted to try the antibiotics although what i have might not be strong enough.
    the antibiotic i have is Oxytetra A

re / mecam is also a pain reliever is that correct? my dog was given that too.

she is calm now but has still a hard time controlling her muscles.
    thanks a lot.
    I am also trying to give her the vit b complex. unfortunatly it is in pill form. but will try. keep you posted and thanks for the comments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by