help she stop laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kowell275, Oct 9, 2011.

1. kowell275

kowell275 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    stanwood
    My white crested polish hen stop laying a week ago i just put a light in the coop she gots food and she free ranged she did stop around when i put a New feeder any advice.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Tis the season...recovery from molting, hormonal adjustments, etc. will cause a temporary laying halt. Be patient, supplement her calcium and protein levels. This can be done by providing oyster shell free choice and feeding some cat food.

3. kowell275

kowell275 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    stanwood
    Ok she is still not laying we do have roosters could that be what is causing her to not lay? She used to be a vary talkative one to now she I vary calm not bonking much. And also could she be going throw a molt she was hatch around March.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She very well could be molting. Polish as a breed have not been selected for maximum production as have the production bred birds. Many Polish are seasonal layers at best.

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    If it's any consolation, I have a bantam cochin hen that has quit for over a month now with no obvious signs of molting...I presume that is what is happening though as she is completely healthy otherwise. All of my hens, save my dominique, are down in production at the moment...I attribute it as BeeKissed said: to the season, molting, hormones, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by