1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, Shipped eggs, air cell on bottom of egg!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hollowridge, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Hollowridge

Hollowridge Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Just received shipped eggs, had 5 cracked, 3 of them badly. Have 26 eggs left. Air cells on almost all seem loose and some as I have looked up saddle shaped. Been sitting now for 7 hours and some are starting to come around to normal.

3 have air cells on the bottom (pointy end of the egg). One looks like it may just be the wrong end as it looks close to the same as the top, oval, the other two look like the pointy end, easier to tell.

Is there anything I can do to help them? Or how is the best way to handle these.
    Thanks

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    I would let them rest overnight with the proper end up and see if they settle. Maybe incubate them initially at least, upright in an egg carton.

3. Hollowridge

Feb 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Yes plan to do that, but has anyone had the air cell on the opposite end, seen on shipped eggs, misshaped and on side cells but can't find anything on them being on the bottom.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  4. CannysChicks

CannysChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2017
    Northern Colorado
    I have duck eggs that I'm incubating right now and are actually trying to hatch as we speak. One of which we've nickname our "special needs egg" because we originally thought that he didn't have an air cell at all. It was actually just very small and on the side of the egg, I just kept it out of the turner and on it's side until the air cell was big enough to reach the top of the egg then I put it in the turner with the air cell up. When lockdown came along he was taken out of the turner and laid on his side and he seems to be doing well even though his air cell is in the wrong place. I've read up on the air cell being on the complete opposite of the egg before. They don't seem to worry much about it but suggest that you keep an eye on them while they're hatching. The chick should hatch just fine, just at the opposite end of the egg. If you ever pick up the egg with the air cell on the opposite end though, just make sure that the end with the air cell is up.

As for the cracked eggs you have, I've never experienced this before, I've heard that you can put melted candled wax over the cracks and they should continue their incubation just fine.

Hope this helps and good luck!

5. Hollowridge

Feb 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Thank-you Cannyschicks

We did a few things, we kept they settled for 24 hour then put them in the incubator and kept the turner off for 2 days.
    Also got in touch with the egg supplier and was told they were not candled before packaging so, one was the same size on both sides so we knew that it was just marked wrong and flipped it. The other two really not sure so we kind of had the felling that what have we got to loose so we put them in with the air cell up. Will see when we candle how they turn out.

Cracked, all went compost, as they were bad and leaking, that would have been a mess.

Can you post any of the sites that you read about the air cell on the opposite end? Did lots of looking and now way could I find any. Would love to look into it more.

Thanks for the advice, feel better on putting them in with the air cells up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by