Help---Shipping some eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], May 8, 2009.

1. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    I have never shipped eggs threw the mail before and I need to send another BYC member some eggs in the morning, 2 of them are pee fowl along with chicken eggs and need all of the advice I can get

What do I do????

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ship priorty mail-it's 2-3 day shipping--depending on how many you ship I use a 7x7x6 box-supplies for free ( just box and hopefully some priority mail tape) from priority mail-just ask the post office for one-I use that size box to ship 6-8 eggs--alot of shredded paper--ok I wrap each egg in bubble wrap ( you buy) loose but not too loose tight but not too tight?? then pack the 6 eggs in a half of an egg carton-big side up and tape it as shut as I can. shredded paper ( you buy) on bottom of box-egg carton-shredded papper surrounding box-I mix packing peanuts too-tons of shredded paper on top firmly--not loose-you want it stabalized tightly so no movement can occur during shipping..tape really good-priority shipping should give you free tape too...then on the outside of the box right-fragile -this side up with arrows-fertile embryos do not freeze or drop. hows that in a nutshell-hope it helps-it should cost 4.95$ then add on .75 for delivery confirmation--if your using paypal it will cost you more for fees-don't forget about the cost of supplies too...I would charge 8$ for shipping the rest is what you feel the cost of your eggs are -depending on breed and quality --hows that?

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  3. R@ndy

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Awesome [​IMG] Thank you very, very much [​IMG]

Na, the eggs are going free of charge, The way I figure it if the BYC member hatches the pee fowl eggs it would be great because I do not have a incubator yet and Im going to send a dozen New Hampshire eggs for good measure [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Since you are sending peafowl eggs, you would probably be better off sending them in a medium or large flat rate priority mail box. I would imagine peafowl eggs are pretty heavy? A 7x7x6 box is pretty small, it's the #4 on the usps website. The cost of shipping depends on where the box is going and how much it weighs. But the best way to send them is by wrapping each egg in bubble wrap, then wrapping them all together with more bubble wrap, then padding the box with paper or packing peanuts, so that the eggs don't move. The key is to make sure the eggs don't bump anything hard (other eggs or the side of the box) and make sure the eggs don't move around inside the box. If you pack them too tight, you will have broken eggs, there needs to be some 'give' inside the box [​IMG] Good luck, it's not as hard as it sounds, I promise! [​IMG]

5. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    Use a bigger box than you think you'll need, and make sure the eggs can't bump against each other. Most broken eggs I have received were broken when the box was squashed and the eggs were smashed against each other side-to-side (which is their weakest dimension).

I wrap each egg in bubble wrap, then tape 3-4 eggs together side-by-side. The egg "logs" are then taped together in a big egg log and wrapped in big bubble wrap. I use styrofoam peanuts and I pack the box tight. The packing material will settle in transit, so use a lot. Shredded newspaper settles a lot. You want the eggs to not be able to move around at all.

Webfoot

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I've been using the flat-rate Priority Mail boxes, but wonder if it would be cheaper to use the pay-per-pound ones. I don't own a postal scale so would have to take the wrapped eggs to the post office and calculate the weight & distance there to see which would be cheaper.

What have you found, is it usually cheaper to do the variable rate or the flat rate boxes?

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Most times, for me anyway, the regular priority mail boxes are cheaper. There are exceptions though. As I said before, the price is based on where they are going and how much they weigh. With items over 1 lb., the weight is rounded up anyway, so if your package is 2 pounds and 2 ounces, you will pay the 3 pound price for shipping. But the weight does matter. Peafowl eggs are pretty big, so for them a flat rate box would most likely be the best bet. My most expensive packages were ones that went to the west coast, and the most was a little over $14 for the shipping. Figure in that the #7 box (which I used) is bigger, and the large flat rate is almost $14, the extra 50 cents or so didn't make that much different. But I have only sent smaller eggs, never goose, turkey, or peafowl, which weigh much more than even my ducks eggs. I usually weigh mine on the bathroom scale, and if it looks like it is more than the next pound, I just round up to make sure it is covered. [​IMG] Hope this helps

8. R@ndy

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    All well noted and thank you everybody very much [​IMG]

9. R@ndy

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Welp, They are in the hands of the US Post office now

Was rather funny, I did not have any of the needed materials to pack the eggs so I just took the eggs into the post office grabbed everything I needed and stood there at the table and packaged everything up.

I got a few strange looks and couldn't keep from snickering a bit and even made it funnier lol, lol, lol

Once again thenk you BYC members for all of the help and advice [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by