Help! should I assist my chick with pipping?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Burbs03, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Burbs03

Burbs03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2017
    My chick made a few cracks in its egg but didn't break through with its beak. should I make a safety hole? if not now when? I want as many chicks to survive as possible. What should I do?

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm a proponent of assisted hatching when appropriate, but it's important to try to let the chick hatch on its own timeline (within reason). Here's a great resource for determining when to intervene: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.

Good luck!

3. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    How long ago did the chick pip? You won't always see a hole. Sometimes it's just the tiniest crack. Later the chick will make the pip bigger, and eventually will start zipping, and you'll see cracks starting to stretch around the egg. this can take many, many hours. Try to sit on your hands and be patient. If you interfere too early, the chick won't be ready to hatch. It may not have finished absorbing the yolk. I know it's hard, but I always give it 24 hours or more before interfering, and even then, I don't always interfere.

4. Burbs03

Burbs03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2017
    Ok thanks! there was a few cracks, now there is a bigger hole, it is moving back and forth a lot and I can see its little beak moving

5. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Sounds like it's moving right along!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by