Help!? Should I assist??

BokBokBadger

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2020
Hi everyone, we've had five out of seven Japanese quail hatch over the past 48 hours. There was a 2° drop in temperature overnight which has been rectified now.
Earlier today we had two left to hatch, one had externally pipped and seemed to be resting but I've just checked and it has passed away 😔 The remaining one was heard chirping and tapping around this time last night but there was no external pip so I went ahead and made a safety hole. It's zipped a small portion away so I can see it but it's done nothing since and this was four hours ago. There's no sign of blood vessels, membrane is white and it's just it's beak poking through. I've removed a small amount around its original pip attempt and it doesn't appear to be doing much. I'm worried if I leave it then it'll also die 😔
Please help, what should I do?

Normally first rule is, you mustn't help.
But, when I am about to shut down the incubator, end of day 20, and there is still weak life, I help, too.

Made it several times by now and 50% survived, always smaller than the rest.
Had one really late roo, helped to crack the shell. He ruled the hole other roos 😂 ... David vs. Goliath

Normally first rule is, you mustn't help.
But, when I am about to shut down the incubator, end of day 20, and there is still weak life, I help, too.

Made it several times by now and 50% survived, always smaller than the rest.
Had one really late roo, helped to crack the shell. He ruled the hole other roos 😂 ... David vs. Goliath
Thanks for your help 😊 I've just moved the last two to the brooder because they were picking at this one's membrane and beak. Put a dab of vaseline on the membrane and popped it back in. I was going to do more but there's a couple of blood vessels and it yawned a few times so I'm guessing it's still absorbing... I'll be up in the night to check on the ones in the brooder after waking up this morning to find one freezing cold because it seemed to have forgotten how to get back to the heat (the heat plate being two inches away from it) 🤣 I was told they were a bit suicidal but wasn't prepared for this haha! I'll see if the one in the incubator makes any progress over night and intervene if not.
Thanks again! Sometimes you just need to know you're not overreacting 🤣

I helped one last week after he'd been struggling for over 18 hours. He actually had feet out but I could see he wasn't making any progress unzipping. Happy to say he's bouncing off the brooder walls with his hatchmates now. I did have one with a beak out. It died and I suspect it would have died if I'd helped it. It's a judgement call for sure. I only used a fingernail to unzip the egg and then let the chick kick out. My mistake was helping him separate that last membrane attached to the shell. He wasn't getting it so I pulled them apart. I know. Bad move. But he recovered, despite my stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom