Help should I be concerned about poop stuck to my baby chicks butt

Sep 27, 2018
Should I be concerned about a piece of poop stuck to my 5 day old chicks butt, it’s not pasty butt but I fear if I leave it, it may turn into pasty butt, how do I get it off I tried a wet paper towel but it did not come off and I don’t want to pull it off cause it may hurt the chick plz help. :(

Yes you should be concerned.
Other poop can build up on it and block the chick from pooping.

Can you post a few photos so we can see what you are talking about?

I always remove it, even it is not really pasty butt. The important thing is to work slowly and carefully. I wet a paper towel with warm water and then carefully and gently dab/hold the wet paper towel against the chick's rear, until the poop gets soft enough to gently wipe off. You will have to wet and dab more than once, and the chick's butt will get wet. That's ok. When the poop is gone, Pat it dry and then put some vasoline on it, under (not over) the vent, which will help poop slide more easily off.

Last edited:
I always remove it, even it is not really pasty butt. The important thing is to work slowly and carefully. I wet a paper towel with warm water and then carefully and gently dab/hold the wet paper towel against the chick's rear, until the poop until it gets soft enough to gently wipe off. You will have to wet and dab more than once, and the chick's butt will get wet. That's ok. When the poop is gone, Pat it dry and then put some vasoline on it, under (not over) the vent, which will help poop slide more easily off.
The poop is stuck exactly above the vent and actually if I remember it right it was stuck to the top of the vent a little.

if you need to clean the poop off... i get an inch deep cup of warm water and just dunk the chicks behind in the water and let it sit there for a minute (that will soften the poop) and grab a paper towel wet it with warm water and then (after dunking the chicks behind in the water) you wipe the chicks behind and it usually comes off :) And then he/she is happy and clean!:bun:bun:bun

Last edited:
Yes you should be concerned.
Other poop can build up on it and block the chick from pooping.

Can you post a few photos so we can see what you are talking about?
This was the best photo I could get (chick wouldn’t sit still and camera wouldn’t focus) if need a better photo just let me know

Attachments

• 544EEAAA-7F78-4A18-8A7E-E3CD795F06DC.jpeg
    544EEAAA-7F78-4A18-8A7E-E3CD795F06DC.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 52

Back
Top Bottom