1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP Should I be worried yet?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cthrash1, Jun 12, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    My very first hatch ever...My pipped chick got almost half unzipped by about 2 am and is still there at 9 am should I be worried or is it just resting? It's on it's side and the beak is showing through the slice. It is breathing okay also...I haven't taken the two plugs out of my LG yet because when I try to the humidity starts to drop so decided to wait til it's out of the shell first.

2. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I know you want to help. I would too, but as I read everyones post, I would leave it for another day it should be out by then if it will survive. Your lucky to be able to watch it. Under a hen I can't see anything! But I know they are hatching.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It can take up to 24 hours before the chick will zip out of the shell from its first pip....It's learning to breathe, finishing absorbing the yolk sac and resting, its hard work pecking around the shell to get out...its fine...sit on your hands and step away from the bator, find something else to do while they work on getting out....

4. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Yes I too had to take a break from watching and waiting, I actually cleaned house and made dinner! Not what I wanted to do, but it did pass the time! lol!

5. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Thanks to all...I am going to walk away for now then and go grocery shopping. I will now breath easier knowing it may be okay.

6. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    [​IMG] I'm sorry I just had to peek through the window...It looks like its stuck upside down...Poor thing. Well, I better go out of the room before I get the urge to roll it over...

7. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    good luck , I know it is hard not to help. I did have one that did the same and died though so I would be inclined to keep a close eye on it . Some seem to come out so fast and other's take soo long it is agonising ! [​IMG] for you

8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If it is half way around the shell it is perfectly fine to go ahead and help him, when they start rotating around it means the yolk has absorbed. If he is peeping loudly or his fuzz is dry, it means he is stuck.

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Noooo it's not OK to help him. He will most likely hatch just fine, and if you open the incubator the humidity will drop making it hard for the rest to hatch. Chicks peep before they even start to hatch.

10. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Quote:Sorry if my post was misunderstood, I was referring to several of the posts above. Once the chick has started zipping, it has absorbed the yolk. it can take 24 hrs or more from pip to zip, BUT it should never take 24 hrs after the chick has started zipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by