1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Should I cull?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mopey267, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Mopey267

Mopey267 New Egg

Feb 19, 2016
    My blue isbar pullet was fine until two days ago, when her leg went limp and she began dragging it behind her. She can grip with her foot, but it seems like a tendon is missing or out of place -- whatever allows the leg to bend forward.

Here is a 20-second video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Mopey267

Mopey267 New Egg

Feb 19, 2016
    HELP? Has anyone seen this before?

3. Emma Miriam

Emma Miriam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2015
    New England
    Hm I've never seen that before! How old is she? Can she get around on her own or is she pretty much immobile? Personally, I wouldn't cull if she can get around and isn't obviously suffering. Hopefully someone else who has more experience than I do could suggest a bandaging or something that might help!

4. Emma Miriam

Emma Miriam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2015
    New England
    Sorry to post twice, but I thought of some more questions that might help others help you better: Where did you get your chicks? Were they vaccinated? How many chickmates does she have? Are any others acting strange at all? Trying to rule out the scarier infections...from the way she's acting I doubt that's the case, but better safe than sorry. :)

Also, did you just suddenly notice this two days ago out of the blue? Can you think of any way she could have gotten injured/got her foot caught in something? She's in a brooder setting, I imagine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by