Help! Should I put it down?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by padoue fou, May 14, 2011.

1. padoue fou

padoue fou New Egg

May 14, 2011
    Hi! Im new and looking for some guidance.
    Brahma chick hatched 2 hours ago with a lot of blood (1/8 - 1/4 tsp i would say) there is still a little drop size clinging to the anus.
    One leg seems a bit deformed and he still cant get it underneath him. The leg is mobile so I know its not broken.
    Am I just being an overly concerned mommy or do I have a problem here?

^^ that is the original text from yesterday to which there was no response. It has been 24 hours. I have a problem here. This chick is slightly deformed in the right leg and still cant stand.
    From the leg up, very normal and strong. If anyone has experience with this, I would really appreciate some input. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. padoue fou

padoue fou New Egg

May 14, 2011
    *bump*

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They cant have issues that will right themselves in time after hatching- but it does sound like something other than just being cramped up in the egg with your little one. What are the toes like? Are they straight or curled up?? You could try strapping the legs together to bring the bad one into place.

4. padoue fou

padoue fou New Egg

May 14, 2011
    Quote:Thank you sooo much for the reply! The leg goes straight out behind her and the toes are straight as well. I have tried taping off the legs with surgical tape. A bit like little handcuffs. Last night I "baby cozy" wrapped the hind end into a sitting position.
    The vent is a bit distended. How long do you give them to correct something like this?

This is my first time having to use a bator and normally these things are taken care of in the coop without us. Im clueless on this one.[​IMG]

Thanks again!

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Is the leg splayed ie sticking out to the side? Can you post a pic so we can see what the best course of action would be?

6. padoue fou

padoue fou New Egg

May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  7. padoue fou

padoue fou New Egg

May 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by