Help! Should i take him out! hurry!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I hhave one chick that hatched. he is bumping into all the other eggs and disturbing them. He is dry, and now he moved to the front of the bator where you open it. Should i take him out? Hurry! He will movve soon.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Not unless its causing issues. If it is dry it wouldnt hurt to move it to the brooder though [​IMG]

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Will it shrinkwrap the other chicks?

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    If he is completely dry and you have a brooder ready he should be fine. If you are going to take him out that means you will have to open up the incubator and the humidity level will drop, Do you have a cotton ball you can get wet with warm water and put it in the bator?

5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    well its ideal to keep them in a bater for 24 hours (am i wrong?)
    but i usally take my guys out once they are dry only because my bater is sooo small and i feel so sorry for them.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put a mason jar in my incubator with a sponge in it that acts like a wick. I take my chicks out and their shells as quickly as I can and the humidity stays around 70%.

[​IMG]

7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I took him out. He is sooo dang CUTE!!!

8. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Ok, I didn't think it was a good idea to take the hatched chicks out even after they dried. If I can do it safely I would love to! I have 15 scrambling around all over the eggs still to hatch!

9. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I get my hubby or son to help. I hold the bator lid open just enough for them to get a hand in and grab a chick. We have the havobator and the humidity seems to jump back up quickly. I really like it. We also found that if you tap on the outside of the bator, the chicks will run to where the noise is, which brings them to the front to be grabbed quickly. :)

If eggs are pipped, any time you open the bator during lockdown is a risk of shrink wrapping them.

I'm one who hates to see the other eggs being knocked around. I leave them as long as possible and get help getting them out to do it quickly.

Good luck with the rest!

10. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:Ya, I don't like that part either but I don't want to risk my pipped ones. A little rolling around isn't going to hurt them like shrink wrapping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by