Help! Should I take the egg turner out???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by allymeagan, Mar 3, 2009.

1. allymeagan

allymeagan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    So yesterday I was planning on taking out the turner, but I worked all day and then forgot. But I thought, no big deal, I'll take it out Tuesday, they're not due until Thursday night. But my mom called me today, and they started hatching. Three had already hatched and more had pipped. So, should I chance it and take out the turner, or just leave it in and hope for the best? I don't want any of the little guys getting caught in it, but the three seem fine, they're just chillin' by the edge. But I don't want to compromise the others. There's forty eggs in there.

What should I do? I'm leaning towards leaving it, as last time I took it out after the first guy hatched, and a few of the eggs didn't make it. They hatched three days early last time. I'm still working on my temps. All the ones that hatched did well though.

Thanks!
    Allison

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would leave it in so you don't open it and screw up the humidity. However, I would unplug it so the chicks don't get caught in any moving parts. Just watch your temps. The motor puts off heat when it's on, so your temp might drop a little.

3. allymeagan

allymeagan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Good call on the unplugging it. Never thought of that! [​IMG]

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by