1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Showing + Chicken Care!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EricTheCockerel, Mar 5, 2013.

1. EricTheCockerel

EricTheCockerel New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    Hey Guys [​IMG]

I was wondering whether one of you would be able to help me with one of my chickens. I show my chickens at country shows each year, it was my first time last year and I showed my Gold Laced Wyandotte Bantam Hen and we came 2nd! Yay! [​IMG] At the show we brought a Buff Sussex Bantam Hen! We let our chickens out of there pen and they tend to fly so we clipped the Buff Sussex`s wings but the only thing Is i dont know whether they will grow back! Will they grow back? Is there anyway I can help them grow back?! As I would like to show her this year!

My Wyandotte Hen has always been clean but recently she has had a pooy bum and its all dried up in her feathers and I want to show her this year! What do I do? As its to cold to wash her No!

Thank You!

Lucy. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

I may be wrong but I dont think those wing feathers will grow back in until they are molted out first

A couple of my hens have dirty bottoms too so I am going to stay tuned here to see what advice you get. I've heard it can be caused by anything from worms to gleet. Worming did seem to help mine.

Hope to see you around on the forums :)

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    1 person likes this.
  5. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Welcome for the time being i would clean the but with warm water and towel dry very well. Pure raw unpasterized apple cider vinager in their water helps not a lot 1tbsp per gallon. For my babies I use 1tsp of molasses & 1tsp of acv in 1 quart of water, then once a week in a separate dish I take a little bit of their food and mix in a little unsweeten plain super yogurt for the probiotic health. This is what I do because I can keep it all organic and clean. But there are some other things out there as well, and the wonderful people here will gladly advice you so you can do what's best for you!

We recently got our Amber link babies they are going to be our main egg producers and once they are done brooding we are going to get our show birds our breeder has some amazing stock and my son and I can't wait to get our second set of babies. And one of our animal science friends is going to help us train them.

Good luck and we are glad to have you here!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Eric, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Best of luck to you and your birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by