1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP shrink wrap

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Starryneedsmorebators, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Starryneedsmorebators

Starryneedsmorebators Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Day 20 humidity 70 to 75 had to add a sponge candeled 3 eggs they are shrink wraping WTH any advice would be amazing I dont want to loose 18 chicks ty Starry

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    How can you tell by candling if they are shrink wraped?I had this same problem with my last hatch and aslo with my broody this week.

3. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure how you can see for sure they are shrink wrapped, but if you know for sure they are then maybe your humidity was to low days 1 - 18? Seems your lock down humidity is plenty high to avoid shrink wrapping.

4. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    I am new to chickens, what is "shrink wrapped" that you are referring to?

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Info about "Shrink Wrapped" chick

6. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    Thank you, very informative

7. Starryneedsmorebators

Starryneedsmorebators Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Well it was as I thought all shrink wrapped I have wet the inside and wrapped them in wet paper towel some had poked a hole but are beat from trying to get threw the shrink wrap . I cross my fingers some make it

8. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    This little silkie was shrink wraped bad,broody gave up and I threw all the eggs into the poop bucket and was on my way to the compost pile with them and I heard peeping,so I had to see which of the four eggs that was in there was still alive.Two were shrink wraped(did not know broodies would have that problem)and the one that was peeping the shell was borken in many places form being thrown in the bucket,so I took it in the house and put in it my tiny little yellow bator that is only good for things like this.I peeled of most of the shell and tried to peel some of the membrane back so it could breath and it started to bleed so I put it in the little bator with lots of hummidity and waited for a few more hours and tried again to peel back and still blood so put it back and waited a few more hours,then tried again that night and was able to get the whole membrane off.It was like rubber.very thick.Put him or her back in the bator for the night and this morning put him or her in a box with a heat lamp.Seems to be doing well,as soon as it can eat and drink I will take it out at dark and put it under the broody with its other siblings probably a couple days.I did not know that broodies could have that problem,but these eggs were days apart form hatching and she just got tired of sitting she already had two that had hatched a few days before.[​IMG]

9. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG]Doing great will go out tomorow night under the mama

10. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Out under mama,will get up really early in the morning and check on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by