HELP Shrink wrapped duckling!!!???

Ducklings76

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2021
Hi I have a duckling who has pipped 19 hours ago and now looks to be struggling I see the membrane is a browny yellow colour and looks very dry, I lost what to do ? Do I need to assist now or wait a little longer ? Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 38
As long as his beak is clear he will be ok for a bit longer just give him more time with higher humididty. If he doesn’t improve you may need to help. I just had to do this with 3 out of 4 of my ducklings.

I wouldn't assist. Not yet, anyway. It's only been 19 hours and ducklings usually take more than 24 hours to hatch. It doesn't look shrinkwrapped, but it does look a bit dry. Keep the humidity as high as possible. You could wrap the egg in a damp paper towel (except for the open part at the top) and moisten the membrane with a bit of water or, preferably, coconut oil.

I wouldn't assist. Not yet, anyway. It's only been 19 hours and ducklings usually take more than 24 hours to hatch. It doesn't look shrinkwrapped, but it does look a bit dry. Keep the humidity as high as possible. You could wrap the egg in a damp paper towel (except for the open part at the top) and moisten the membrane with a bit of water or, preferably, coconut oil.
Thanks for the reply, we don’t have an option to raise the humidity on our incubator. We’ve been told not to open the lid at all would we be okay to do this just to wrap it in the paper towels then put him straight back in again?

Thanks for the reply, we don’t have an option to raise the humidity on our incubator. We’ve been told not to open the lid at all would we be okay to do this just to wrap it in the paper towels then put him straight back in again?
Opening the incubator can increase the risk of shrink wrapping, but if the membrane is already dry, then I think it will be worth it to briefly open it to increase the humidity.

If all the water reservoirs on your incubator are already full, add moist towels or cloths to the incubator, or an extra dish of water. Then wrap the shell in a moist paper towel, moisten the membrane (I like to use a Q-tip), and perhaps also mist the inside of the incubator with a spray bottle. To the best of my knowledge, you can't have too high humidity for hatching.

Back
Top Bottom