Kg2022

Chirping
Oct 1, 2022
Southeast NC
0F84EB11-1C7B-4DF6-A539-CD238CE4665E.jpeg
Poop / looks like large marble size lash egg?

Attachments

• 974D8721-4EEF-4587-924C-CEC60914BA06.jpeg
    974D8721-4EEF-4587-924C-CEC60914BA06.jpeg
    752.2 KB · Views: 2
I posted above. She’s been in a slow decline. Really bad now. Brought her in before hurricane. These are things I have tried for months now, since she hasn’t laid since early summer. Hot summer in NC.
-Epsom salt bath, lubed vent…don’t think she is egg bound. Checked a few times.
-Mites/lice used poultry protector
-added Nutri drench to water
- She had an impacted crop…massaged on daily basis and it’s slowly loosening
-poops are rarely normal. Usually yellow, white watery…some times little black pieces.
-Coccidiosis? Something else? She’s bottom of pecking order and have 4 other hens. One did pass this summer.

What is going on? Are those lash eggs? Not larger than a quarter….anything I can do???

Thanks

Welcome To BYC

You are correct, it looks like those are lash eggs, Salpingitis.

Offer your hen supportive care, keeping her hydrated and eating. You can give her 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 daily to see if that helps her expel any more lash eggs that may be hard to pass.
If caught very early, you can try giving an antibiotic as another supportive care and comfort measure.

Since you were able to recognize what this was, then you must know a bit about the condition. Unfortunately, there's no "cure" but sometimes a hen may improve for a period of time with supportive care measures, but eventually they will succumb to the condition or continue to decline, and you'll need to put her out of her misery.

Here's some reading for you.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

Welcome. sorry your girl is not doing well Reading through your posts it seems she’s been off for months so its likely that her body can no longer compensate for the illness. Birds are very good at hiding disease…until they can’t. So sorry. :(

She gets better and then this decline. About a month ago she was high step walking. And then she was better again. Just had to move the chicken coop and hurricane, which I brought her in garage….a lot of stressors. What to do so she doesn’t suffer. Can I treat her for something else? Or since she is laying lash eggs… that’s her main issue?

View attachment 3278445Poop / looks like large marble size lash egg?
I posted above. She’s been in a slow decline. Really bad now. Brought her in before hurricane. These are things I have tried for months now, since she hasn’t laid since early summer. Hot summer in NC.
-poops are rarely normal. Usually yellow, white watery…some times little black pieces.
-Coccidiosis? Something else? She’s bottom of pecking order and have 4 other hens. One did pass this summer.

What is going on? Are those lash eggs? Not larger than a quarter….anything I can do???

Thanks

View attachment 3278445Poop / looks like large marble size lash egg?

Thanks

I had a girl who laid a lash egg, though that was her only problem, and she didn't appear sick. If it helps, I was advised to give 250 mg amoxycillian once a day for 10 days. I've heard some feed stores carry it; none near me did, so I ran around looking for someone to do me a favor and write an Rx. The amoxicillian did help her -- she hasn't laid another, and is still doing ok.

Best of luck. I know how frightening and stressful this is for you both.

Back
Top Bottom