1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help sick 3 week old barred rock chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cityfarmer88, Sep 12, 2016.

1. cityfarmer88

cityfarmer88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    I don't know what's wrong with her she's sleeping alot feathers look kinda fluffed she's not drinking and eatting as much she does eat a little and I did finally see her drink today on her own. I really don't know what's wrong she defiantly looks sick is not as lovely as the others I've been giving an antibiotic for about 4 days and smart water that's when this All started she's been fine since I got her but now she's sick I don't know what else to do here are some pics of her and one of her poops I caught her do.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

She also is breathing a little harder when she sleeps then the others I can see her body move and her wings are kinda droopy and tail is down

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  4. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    It's been 5 days is there anything else I can do she is still eatting and drinking not as much as the others I offered her some water out of a medicine cup she drank it on her own today is the first day I've even seen her attempt to drink I've seen her eat some but not drink and she seems tierd

5. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Has she been outside or on grass at all? Her lack of diarrhea makes me wonder but my guess would be that she has cocci and needs some corid. I would suggest some research on BYC and see if you think her symptoms fit. If any of the others are standing with droopy wings, feathers fluffed, head pulled in, back kinda hunched, mostly off on their own, diarrhea, lethargic.

If this is cocci and after researching it you agree then you need to treat her and th other chicks immediately. Cocci has different strains and some are very very deadly and can kill in as little as 24 hrs trust me I know. I don't believe she has that strain of course but the faster you treat her the better her chances. Unless she was sneezing, coughing, had labored breathing, runny oozy eyes or nostrils(nares) I would treat for cocci before giving an antibiotic in the future. But I know everyone has their own ideas.

Hope this helps.

6. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016

She never been on grass today is 6 days since this has been going on

7. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016

I was just thinking that well ok I have a total of 8 baby chicks the oldest r 6 and 7 weeks old the youngest 2 weeks 4 days the other 5 have been outside before the older ones it was before I got these younger ones I had a mishap and one of my babies got taken by a bird so I don't take them outside anymore the one that is sick has never been outside before I've had her for 3 weeks

8. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    I keep forgetting things also I have 4 chickens that just turned 20 weeks they live outside

9. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    Another thing I noticed these last two day when I offer her the water out of the medicine cup she takes big drinks gets almost her whole neck wet oh yeah and no one else is sick out of the 8 babies also my adult ones are not sick either. Just this little barred rock like I said she was just fine 6 day ago and fine when I bought her I really do not know what is wrong can someone help?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  10. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Well cocci is very common in the ground and it could have been carried in by you etc. Or if they have been around any of the other chicks that have been outside. We have had it in chicks that weren't outside too. I can see why you would discount it but I probably wouldn't. I hope you get some other opinions soon.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by