Help Sick 8-10 week old Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NormanTorino71, Feb 5, 2014.

1. NormanTorino71

NormanTorino71 New Egg

Feb 5, 2014
    I bought these chicks with most of their feathers already in place. its been a week and a half maybe two. I have had 1 die and 2 more with what looked like splayed leg. I was told Splayed leg is more of a younger chick problem. the 2 sick ones will drink if you put them by water but I have not seen them eat in the last day. they will try to get up but its like they can't control their legs they wobble and fall. I have notice they have a white/ tan color diarrhea. I have looked at their eyes and they are still yellow and black. along with the other chicks and chickens I have. I have had my full grown chickens fenced off from the chicks do to them getting picked on.

Any ideas of what this could be?

Thanks

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What are you feeding them?

Has Mereks ever been an issue for you?

3. NormanTorino71

NormanTorino71 New Egg

Feb 5, 2014
    Never had any form of problem. I have been feeding layer feed to my Hens and starter to the chicks the first bag i had got wasn't medicated. but they now have the medicated starter

4. aoxa

This is not Cocci, so medicated feed is not needed.

Sounds like Mereks to me. http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

5. aoxa

Neural form: Characterized by one, all, or none of the following symptoms -
    • Progressive paralysis, usually of the leg or wing, a typical leg-paralysis victim will
    have one leg extended forward and one leg extended back. A swelling of the sciatic
    nerve is the cause.
    • Weight loss
    • Labored breathing
    • Diarrhea
    • Starvation and death due to an inability to reach feed and water and to trampling by penmates.

6. NormanTorino71

NormanTorino71 New Egg

Feb 5, 2014
    OK so This could effect my Full grown hens also? I should also just deal with the sick ones now instead of letting them lay around?

7. aoxa

Yes, it is highly contagious. It takes a while to show though.

If I were you, I'd send one to the state lab for testing. Make sure you know what you are dealing with.

8. NormanTorino71

NormanTorino71 New Egg

Feb 5, 2014
    not sure where a state lab would be around here. I could try and contact a vet I found out about today.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis is also something to consider with your chicks since they came from somewhere else. That may not be the cause since they do have Mareks symptoms, but they can be exposed to new strains of coccidia on your property. Coccidiosis also can make chicks immune systems weak to cause them to get other diseases. So just be aware that they can have both going on at the same time. Sorry for your losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by