help sick ameraucana

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dressingrebecca, Nov 3, 2014.

1. dressingrebecca

dressingrebecca Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2014
    houston
    A few days ago i saw that one of my ameraucana was sunning instead of eating.....i didn't think much of it but a few days later found her away from the flock while they scratched, slumped with her head down. We separated her from the group and put her in a kennel with a heat lamp. My husband and I fed her mash and some electrolytes. ...sulmet in her water in the carrier. She lived through the night and we have repeated the process this morning. Her poop is gooey clear and bright yellow. Not sure what to do and we do not have access to a vet for poultry. ....love my Pearl and would hate to loose her :0 (
    [​IMG]

2. dressingrebecca

Oct 16, 2014
    houston
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

pearl's poop..yes she pooped on me but it was the only way to see it clearly

3. dressingrebecca

Oct 16, 2014
    houston
    Also, as you can see she is young and not of laying age yet....

4. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    This is from another post on BYC, from casportpony (BYC Guru LOL).

When mine get sick, this is what I do:

• Thorough exam which includes inserting a gloved, lubed finger into the cloaca to check for an egg, check for cuts, bruising lumps etc.
    • Dust for mites/lice with poultry dust even if I cannot see any. DE does not work.
    • Weigh on digital kitchen scale (see avatar), record weight and weigh daily. any weight loss is bad.
    • Place bird in a warm, quiet place on towel with food and water that it can't drown in.
    • De-worm with Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste 50mg/kg by mouth and repeat in 10 days. Warning - Safeguard/Panacur (fenbendazle should not be used during a molt)
    • Once warm, if not drinking, and crop is empty, hydrate with warmed Pedialyte or lactated ringers with a feeding tube - 30ml/kg every 6-8 hours.
    • If not eating after 24 hours and crop is empty, tube feed baby bird food mixed with Pedialyte
    • Inspect poop.
    • If I suspect a stuck egg, treat for egg binding.
    • If I suspect a bacterial infection, treat with antibiotics.

5. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    This is from the Chicken Chick, "Yellow, foamy or greasy-looking chicken poop can be a sign of internal parasites, worms in particular."

I would find a broad spectrum wormer, and get her dosed as soon as you can.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Other than Sulmet, what antibiotics do you have? Human, cat, dog horse, any can be used. Do you have a Petsmart nearby?

-Kathy

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yellow poop can also be blackhead. Both turkeys here had blackhead.
    [​IMG]

Treatment for blackhead is metronidazole, and the dose I would give her is about 25mg per pound by mouth twice a day for 5 days, but I'd also de-worm with Safeguard and give a second antibiotic like Baytril, Cipro, Augmentin or Clavamox.

-Kathy

8. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    [​IMG] Oh good, the experts are to the rescue! I have yet to deal with much illness with my flock yet, all I have are what I've read! Hopefully your EE can get treated and be back to her old self! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by