Help! Sick baby chick!!! Sudden!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sbrooks88, Jul 28, 2013.

1. sbrooks88

sbrooks88 Chirping

Jul 11, 2013
    North Carolina
    Ok I have a chick that is 8 weeks old. She's been perfectly fine. Tonight one if my big chickens peck her nose and beak through the pen wire. Ever since she's all puffed up and acts very dizzy and won't eat a whole lot and acts very weak. :( what's is wrong with my baby? Seriously guys she's my heart I hatched her myself! The membrane on her egg got dried out and I literally had to pick and peel the egg shell off her when she was hatched! Please help I don't want my baby to pass away!

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Songster

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    she may have a sore beak from being pecked. Try giving her some of her favorite foods to encourage eating. Make sure she is drinking. Keep an eye on her,monitor for any other symptoms,that could indicate something else is the problem.

3. sbrooks88

sbrooks88 Chirping

Jul 11, 2013
    North Carolina
    I know when some of mine had coccidiosis about a year ago they were all puffed up :(

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Indeed, her sudden sickness might have nothing to do with her getting pecked. I would isolate her in a place where she can see, but not come into contact with, some other chickens. Entice her to eat with wet feed, scrambled/hard boiled eggs, applesauce, or anything else that you think she would like. Keep her warm and clean, and possibly give probiotics in her water.

If it were me, I would treat her with Corid for Coccidiosis if she doesn't improve in another day. The dosage is 1/2 teaspoon Corid liquid per quart of drinking water for 5-7 days. Do not give any vitamins during the treatment time, as they may interfere with the Corid's effect. Probiotics during this time are fine, though.

Good luck! I had to help a chick out of its shell earlier this year. It was difficult, but it made her special. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  5. sbrooks88

sbrooks88 Chirping

Jul 11, 2013
    North Carolina
    Exactly! I love this chick. :) I have her by herself and all alone. :( breaks my heart. She loves her brother and the other chicken that has been with them since day 1 I had that I e isolated because it had a broken leg. That ones full grown now and won't let the chicks leave her side. So she is pretty mad at me. The chick is still eating and drinking. The only place that sells corid around here sells it for 25 bucks! That's high. But if she doesn't improve I'm going to have to buy some cause I can't letting little one die. Thanks for advice.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    You're welcome! Yeah, that is a lot of money. Some people try to treat Coccidiosis using buttermilk to "coat" the intestines, and help prevent further damage to the intestines by the Coccidia. It might be a good thing to try, though I've never done it. However, Corid is better for the bird, and works faster. For all I know, though, it might not even be Coccidiosis. Its so frustrating not knowing what is wrong!

7. sbrooks88

sbrooks88 Chirping

Jul 11, 2013
    North Carolina
    It's not coccidiosis. She has a boo boo under her wing. I created a new thread about it. Could u all look and tell me what u think? It's the one about the puncture wound.

8. nesther

nesther In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    Well, on my opinion I think you should see a vet but only if I really, really looks bad.

9. sbrooks88

sbrooks88 Chirping

Jul 11, 2013
    North Carolina
    It's not too bad I put neosporin on it and am giving her duramycin to prevent infection. I just wanted to be sure that was safe. Poor baby but she's doing a lot better now! Thank God!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Sounds like you are doing a good job treating her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: