Help! Sick baby chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Essygirl, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Essygirl

Essygirl New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    I have a baby bantam chick that had trouble hatching last night, it's been out of its shell for a few hours now but has been acting strange and I don't know what might be wrong with it!

This is the first batch of chicks we've had and I'm not very experienced on this. One of the chick's eyes were glued shut so I dabbed some diluted colloidal silver on it its seemed to help a bit.

The chick has also been laying with its feet past its wings so their all the way up under its head. He's been moving his legs up and down while laying down as if having mini muscle spasms constantly. I don't know what do to!

His feet seem to be bent inwards and under so their on their side as well.

Other than that, he's pooping and chirping fine. Does someone know what I can do??
    I don't know what's wrong with it and I'm getting worried!
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This can be common in chicks who have trouble hatching,or who are helped out of the egg. It may not survive, but try to give it some SaveAChick electrolytes in water, or poultry Nutridrench, as often as possible.

3. lovechickens23

lovechickens23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi need help got sick chick she very skinny she eats fine and drinks and she has bad blind eye I need a chicken vet to come to my house dose any Buddy know any chicken vet in argyle new York. If u do can u please tell me the numbers need help asap I lost so many baby chicks don't want to loose this one. She been sick for weeks. When she was born she was fine then I found her sick then I nurse her back now she very sick again

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry you are having trouble. [​IMG]
    Sometimes crushing the feed helps with bantams. I don't have hatching experience yet. But Have done lots of research preparing. @Eggcessive covered all that I could already. But wishing you a good rest of your hatch and health to your current concern! [​IMG]
    Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am sorry you are having trouble also. [​IMG]

How old is your chick? what are you feeding? and what did you do to nurse her back to health the first time? How many other chicks are in your brood?

5. lovechickens23

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi I am Gussing she is 3 month old and she eats chick food. And she by her self. Can u help do u know any vet who can come and help me? In argyle new York

6. lovechickens23

Aug 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Here is her bad eye its different from this pic now and she very skinny help

7. lovechickens23

Aug 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Here is her bad eye its different from this pic now and she very skinny help

8. EggSighted4Life

@lovechickens23 I am sorry, I do not know any vets. My best suggestion would be to google it. But next I would suggest contacting any wildlife center, zoo, or university with related vet science departments for suggestions.

How did her eye become blind? Does she have any outdoor access? What are you feeding for treats? Do you use grit? What kind of housing is she in? All night lighting? Were those pin feathers or missing? Since she is pooping fine, do you notice any difference from norm? All questions will help come up with possible solutions. What is the protein % on her feed? What did you do to nurse her back to health the first time? And what were her symptoms? How do you know she is skinny..... what are you comparing her to?

Did you know that chickens and chicks are very social animals? They desperately need to have companionship of other birds. Less than 3 is not recommended. And she could actually be suffering from being lonely and depressed.

Lots of possibilities.

Good luck! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. lovechickens23

Aug 18, 2013
    Yes u know vets cause I saw some listed on your website she is with other chicks . I feed her chick food. I don't know how her eye got blind from sickness I Gus's. I just need help stop asking autions can u give me any ideas like u did with other ppl

10. EggSighted4Life

You must be mistaken me for someone else. I do not have a website.

Without asking questions. I can't make suggestions because I don't have enough information. If you don't want my help, I will go elsewhere that someone does!

I did give you an idea, to use Google and find a vet in your area.

Eyes don't just go blind for no reason! Even if they are sick! I am afraid with that kind of attitude, you might need help for yourself more than the chick!!!! I won't be making anymore suggestions, but wishing both you and your chick a speedy recovery! [​IMG] Hope y'all aren't in some sort of abusive relationship or something terrible that makes you afraid to seek real help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by