help!!!!!! sick baby silkie!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by datchickendoe, Oct 28, 2016.

1. datchickendoe

datchickendoe New Egg

Jul 25, 2016
    Fl
    i have a baby silkie about 2 months maybe, i got her from the feed store about 4 weeks ago and her and the other baby are acting fine and never had anything wrong with the, and yesterday i put them up in the coop and she was acting fine. Well this morning i let them out of the coop ( i have to lock them up because of a cat next door) and while all of the other 6 chickens came out and started eating this one stayed in the nest box. So i picked her up and was holding her and noticed that she wasn't moving her legs at all and trying to get away as if she was in pain.but i had to go to school. so when i got back from school i checked on her and she wasn't really moving. She wouldn't drink on her own and wouldn't hold her head up. i quickly isolated her from the rest thinking it was Markets. i was giving her water and baby food and t seemed to help but then spit up the water. i washed her a bit to clean the poo up off her then put her under a heat lamp. she was acting perfectly fine but wasn't walking still. and had to move her to a different container with a different wattage bulb. she was acting fine for a bit the started moving her head around and opening her mouth to breath. i put her in kind of a sling so she wasn't on her feet (i cut 2 holes on a wash cloth and clipped it to a raised bowl).me thinking she was cold took her out from under neath the heat lamp for a bit and gave her some more water and baby food. her poop is really water but was solid earlier( probably because she hasn't been eating nothing but baby food).she is doing good right now but is sleeping in the sling looking thing under a heat lamp.she is breathing normal again and is not having the little spasms and she still cant walk. what else can i do? she was literally perfectly fine yesterday and then got sick this morning. i really need help if you have had this happen before please let me know what to do!!!!!!!!!! i really need help!!!!! please!!!!!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    She could have Marek's or it could be a vitamin deficiency. You'll only know if you treat her with vitamins and she gets better. I suggest Poultry Nutri-drench. It designed for chickens and gets right into the bloodstream to act quickly.

Wal-mart may have it in the pet section, and feed stores almost always carry it.

You were very smart to rig the sling for her. After a day or so on the Nutri-drench, try letting her out of the sling and see how she does.

3. datchickendoe

datchickendoe New Egg

Jul 25, 2016
    Fl
    I woke up yesterday morning and she had died... I have felt with markets before and cured them with only electrolytes, but they were adults, I guess she was to little to deal with it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by