Help Sick Bantam chicken !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tuchickens9, Jan 30, 2014.

1. tuchickens9

tuchickens9 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    So I have a bantam cochin who I got about a month a go after a week she started to act wierd she would have a runny nose and watery eye I left her alone for about a week to see if it went away there was no progress. After reading that Watery eye runny nose indicate respitory infections i started to give her Tylan 50 injectable for 5 days. She looked more lively. Then yesterday when I went to go check on them she would not really walk. She had one eye closed tried opening her eye and white-ish gooey stuff came out. On the same side of the head ,she has little scars?What is this ?What should I do?

2. kubota girl

kubota girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    KENTUCKY
    i am not sure what she has... but try to give her some water with a dash of sugar in it. it will help her feel better,(should help) her eye ,and walking....she will probably feel more lively

3. tuchickens9

Oct 28, 2013
    Thanks will try this. Your advice is appreciated.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you could post a picture of her head with the scars it may help. Could she have fowl pox? Are you in a warm climate where there are mosquitoes out now? Is her eye swollen? Does she have a bad odor from her head? How is her eating, drinking, and pooing? Any diarrhea?

5. tuchickens9

Oct 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

she is eating drinking and pooing no eye swollen i saw a couple of mosquitos out yesterday I live in az but shes been sick for a while (The other eye looks fine)

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did she have a Mareks vaccine? Is she able to stand if you stand her up? She could have mycoplasma or coryza. The eye drainage may be drying on the skin making it look like scars, but I can't be sure. Tylan50 is a very good drug for respiratory diseases. Can you do some warm compresses to her eye a couple of times a day? An antibiotic ointment such as Terramycin, erythromycin, or plain Neosporin would be good to apply to the eye after the compresses. If you think she might have coryza, Di-Methox or sulfadimethoxine, a sulfa drug may treat coryza best. Here is a list of common diseases including the respiratory ones: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

7. tuchickens9

Oct 28, 2013
    I don't think so she was given to me shes a 2013 bird . She is able to stand even walk now . How would you do the warm compresses ? I gave tylan 50 it did help but I only did treatment for 5 days should I resume if so how much for my bantam how many times daily? BTW I think shes blind from that eye since its been watery .

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is hard to see inside the eye from the picture. A warm wet wash cloth folded to her eye while she sits in a towel on your lap would be how I would do a compress. If she has pus in the eye, clean it out with a Q-Tip or kleenex. Then put eye drops or ointment in it twice a day. I'm sure she can't see out of it now, but if you get some of the swelling down she might have some sight. Please read the link in post #7 if you haven't. Respiratory diseases aren't cured, but symptoms may go away for awhile. You can try the Tylan again, but I would get some Di-Methox online ($12) in case she has coryza. Here's where you can find it: http://www.jefferspet.com/product.asp?pn=A2-DA&green=3A6DF43E-A6F8-5DB8-07AB-BAAC25ADE2A4

9. tuchickens9

Oct 28, 2013
    thank you so much for your advice i will try this to try to make her feel better.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I was just looking at some pictures of fowl pox, and came across this one that resembled your hen's eye. Do you live in a warm climate and have mosquitoes right now? Maybe this is not at all what she has, but look at the picture of conjunctivitis with fowl pox and see if it looks like her: [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by