HELP!!! Sick bird...don't know what is wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dblea202, Feb 10, 2013.

1. dblea202

dblea202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Our black Australorp is not looking good....we usually give them oatmeal and she is always the first to eat it...today she wouldn't touch it. She is drinking and her poop is watery and clear and has a little white in it. We thought she might be egg bound but it doesnt feel like there is an egg in there. we put olive oil and tried to feel inside and couldn't feel anything...when we turned her around to put olive oil and feel her she had water dripping from mouth or nose...ANY IDEAS????

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
  3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    If I am late getting up to my chickens in winter and their water is frozen, when I do get up there with water they will drink too fast and end up spewing water all over if they bend down...other than that I don't know what is happening to your chicken.

4. dblea202

Dec 27, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

1 Australorp about 8 months old, smaller then other chickens but she has always been and she is younger

2. seems droopy, keeps closing her eyes, thought it might be egg bound but it doesn't feel like an egg is there....has laid a couple eggs every once in awhile for the past two months laid one last week but was very tiny, soft broke easily. still pooping, very watery clear and had some white stuff in it

3. didn't notice it until this morning

4. no other birds are showing symptoms

5. no other symptoms except when we put olive oil on her she had clear stuff drip out of her nose/mouth
    6. don't know of anything that could have happened

7. Drinking a little bit of water, just about to give her electrolytes

8. Poop is runny, clear, and some white

9. olive oil on vent, and electrolyte/probiotic water, seperated from other chickens'

10. dont know of any vets, so would probably need to be something that can be done at home.

11. no pictures yet

12. she is in a wire cage with wood shavings and food and water bowl.

5. DraigAthar

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Can you feel her crop? Check to see if it feels spongy or squishy, like a bag of liquid? Or if it feels like a hard mass or a lump of any size in it?

6. dblea202

Dec 27, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    We felt her crop and it seems to be fine. it feels normal. she is drinking fine not eating so much though started her with electrolyte water and probiotic water. hopefully we can figure out what this is

7. DraigAthar

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Hrm, I guess I don't know what to tell you then. I had a chicken drip water out the beak like that once before, but it was because she had sour crop and nothing was moving through her properly. That's why I asked about the squishy crop. Sour crop tends to feel like a big squishy bag. Anyway, whenever she bent over far enough, it put pressure on her own crop and she'd leak liquid out, then shake her head and fling it everywhere. Of course, it was also foul-smelling, which was a dead giveaway. But yours doesn't smell bad, does it? It's just watery?

8. dblea202

Dec 27, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her eyes seem pretty clear.

9. dblea202

Dec 27, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    yes just watery. she seems just to be droopy and just stands there or lays in one area of the cage we have her in

10. dblea202

Dec 27, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Not knowing what this is yet should we put some of the electrolyte/probiotic water in with our other girls??? just to be safe or is it not good for them to drink if they are showing no signs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by