Help! Sick BR! Need Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cakela, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Cakela

Cakela Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Southern New Hampshire
    Went down to feed the girls this morning and one BR was still on the roost. Went to check on her to put her on the ground and both her eyes are sealed shut. She is also making a weird gurgly noise when she breaths sometimes. She's inside on my lap right now wrapped in a towel. Any help is appreciated. Everyone was healthy yesterday..

Okay so I dug around and I have some duramycin, should I be giving her that?

update.

I cleaned her eyes with a warm towel, she's got them open. She can't walk, but she's been drinking and eating. I gave her a good look over and she has little bugs crawling all over her. I've dealt with lice before, but these weren't the same. Small white little bugs. I assume mites. Could this be part of the problem?

She's also got green very watery poo. Another bad sign?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    Pneumonia?

Lynne [​IMG]

3. Cakela

Aug 12, 2011
    Southern New Hampshire
    Didn't know chooks could get that. Could be. It's been really wet and rainy here lately... it's treatable, isn't it?

4. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Duramycin might help. Hopefully, someone with more experience can help you. Definitely separate the poor girl from the rest of your flock. Bless her sweet heart. I hate it when one of my girls feels bad......

5. Cakela

Aug 12, 2011
    Southern New Hampshire
    Could I take a warm cloth to try and open her eyes? Like with kittens?

Poor thing can't see at all.

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Separate her from the flock. Keep her very warm. I usually put them in a box and set half of it on a heating pad. They can seek out the warm spot, move off it if it gets too warm. Cover with a towel...warm, quiet and dark. They have a hard time regulating body temp when they're sick and you don't want her using all her energy staying warm, you want her using energy to get well. Feed her chopped eggs, good treats, to encouragage her to continue eating, but go ahead and put her feed in there too. I'm sorry, I've had birds my entire life but chickens only recently so I don't know what meds to give them. I think anything for the moment is better than nothing. I'd give her what you have and if you find you have to switch it then do it.

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:Yes, and make sure you wash your hands well...I'd even change clothes, before going back to your other birds. If you start seeing any of them showing signs of being sick then move them out of the coop ASAP. Hopefully it won't affect all of them!

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
  9. Cakela

Aug 12, 2011
    Southern New Hampshire
    Thank you!

I have her inside in a dog crate lined with paper at the moment.

She's drinking the medicated water, but I had to pick her up and put her in front of it. Not a good sign [​IMG]

Making some hard boiled eggs to give her and I've got a meal worm farm as well.

My hens eyes weren't bubbly... more like when you hold a baby kitten to much and it gets gunk in it's eyes? It was more like that...

She's coughing and stuff too... hopefully the medication helps.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  10. Cakela

Aug 12, 2011
    Southern New Hampshire
    Still need help! [​IMG] She's getting worse. Hasn't eaten much other then what I've been forcing her to eat. Her poop is nasty. Green and very watery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by