HELP - Sick Buff Orpingtons??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrRoy, Jan 16, 2010.

1. MrRoy

MrRoy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    I have 2 BOs but one died last night. After researching the web, I found that the symptoms matched that of an Egg-bound hen. The only thing is that all of them were laying fine, as well as eating, drinking, walking, etc. I noticed the fluffing of the feathers yesterday and one BO got it the nest instead of the roost last night. I thought she was just laying again, but this morning she was dead in the nest. Now, tonight my other BO was in the nest instead of on the roost. I brought her inside and treated her for egg-binding with a warm bath, a massage and some KY. (Sounds like a good date) I did not feel any egg inside her and I do remember her laying today, but she was still fluffed up with her tail in the air. She is resting now inside in a basket with a heating pad. Any clues?
    The rest of my flock consists of 4 Sexlinks and 3 Ameraucanas.
    The diet hs been the same since they were 6-months old, they will make 1 year in Feb.
    They free range around the yard.
    Thanks for any help!

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Wish I could help. Could it be a coincidence? Is the chicken inside show any symptoms at all? Ex. not eating, not drinking, wheezing,gurgling,are her poops fine and are her eyes clear?

You only had 2 chickens? Did I read that right or do you have others? If you only had 2 and now 1 could she be lonely or heartbroken?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    if she laid an egg today then she isn't egg bound. chances are you have something else (contagious) going on.

4. MrRoy

MrRoy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    I have 5 others that are doing fine (other breeds). She is eating fine. I just now held some bread crumbs up and she pecked them right out of my hand. She was eating fine today along with the others. She doesn't look or act sick to me-clear eyes, no coughing or sneezing, just her regular little muffled cluckle. It's just that her sister went to sleep on the nest yeaterday evening and was dead this morning. I was concerned when i went out this evening to lock them up and saw the secong BO on the nest and not on the roost. Right now she is in a basket on a towel with a heating pad beneath and a towel over the basket. I pulled the towel back and she was awake and alert standing not sitting.
    Is there a disease that can kill within hours?

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    toxins kill within hours. As for your hen dying in the nest, most will separate themselves from the flock if they know there is something wrong with them or they are dying. She could have been eggbound or hemorrhaged trying to lay an egg. Did you check her to see if an egg was coming? That would be a way to confirm it was an egg issue with her or something else going on.

The 2nd hen could just be going broody (classic fluffed up appearance of a laying hen). I would monitor her closely. Especially her stools, eating, drinking. If she was ill, I doubt she would have produced an egg today.

6. MrRoy

MrRoy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    Thanks all for the info and advice. I will monitor Buffy tonight and report back in the morning.

7. MrRoy

MrRoy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    Well, after she was good and dry from her bath last night, I moved her back out on the roost with the others. I went out this morning and found that she was still alive and on the nest and she's still alive. She fluffed up when I approached which is unusual otherwise she looks fine. No egg yet, but I will check later.
    I guess she's just gone broody since her sister passed, not sure what else to think.

8. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Are they just starting to lay eggs now, or did they have extra light during the winter?
    I've noticed that sometimes when they're just starting up egg laying in when the daylight hours get longer, that's when egg problem can show up the most.
    Did the first BO have a swollen abdomen? Does the second one?
    I'm thinking its just coincidence that the 2nd one is in the nest. Sometimes, when their egg-laying starts back up, they feel the urge, but nothing happens , and they spend more time in the nestbox.. Maybe that's what's going on.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

9. MrRoy

MrRoy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    All is well with Buffy. She's just gone Broody. The lady at the feed store is going to bring me some fertile eggs so maybe I'll gets some chicks - or rotten eggs. We'll see. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. It is still a mystery about Willow dying suddenly on the nest.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  10. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I'm glad she's doing better.
    I love buff orps, but they seem to have more problems than some of the other breeds. Maybe its just their size. I had 6 6 years ago, and now they're all gone. [​IMG]
    I do tend to watch carefully the hens that stay in the nestbox. Sometimes, they are sick and are avoiding the others.
    Good luck with yours. And good luck with the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by