Help! Sick chick with dark lump

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Foghorn111, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Foghorn111

Foghorn111 New Egg

Apr 24, 2011
    I recenly got two, two week old chicks and one is doing great. Eats, drinks, is healthy, and growing fine but her sister is not doing so well. We first realized she was sick when she pooped blood one day. She stopped eating and drinking and is pretty weak. We keep their pen's temperature around 80 degrees and have been giving her water/chick feed through a dropper which seems to help some because she hasn't had anymore blood but she still has another big problem. She has developed a large, dark lump on the right side of her breast. It's filled with a liquid and we have no clue what it is. It doesn't seem to hurt her when it's touched but she is very weak and not eating. Were sure she's going to die if we don't do something soon and I'm open to ALL suggestions so PLEASE HELP! I can post pictures of it if that would help any.

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    pooping blood sounds like cocci. For that treat with corid or sulmet. The lump on the right side of the breast is the crop. Sounds like it full of the water/feed you have been giving. Is she pooping at all now? I think I would try treating for cocci.

3. Foghorn111

Foghorn111 New Egg

Apr 24, 2011
    When she does poop it's very runny, she's only been drinking water with our help. Is the crop suppose to be that large and bloated? It looks sickly

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    If you have been pushing liquids it doesnt take a whole lot to fill those little crops. If she is pooing I'd say its going through. Not sure what next hope someone has more ideas. I'm still leaning towards treating for cocci. Can you get her to eat some cooked egg yolk? A picture would help.

5. Foghorn111

Foghorn111 New Egg

Apr 24, 2011
    She hasn't been eating anything solid yet but I did see some poop from her that didn't have blood in it so thats a good sign atleast. She's a white rock and her crop/bump is black though is that irregular? the other White rock is pink skinned. [​IMG] this is a top view of her crop I thought it just looked extreme.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by