Help! Sick chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PerfectPlumage, Apr 25, 2016.

1. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

It was my first time incubating and my 12 chicks are just a few days old. I had already lost a chick but because she was too cold. This one's different though and the brooder is now in a room that is so warm it's hard to stand it. I found it kind of sprawled out and gasping for air with it's eyes closed. It can't life it's head or walk... Tried sugar water, it didn't work. I checked for pasty butt too. What's going on?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you have a picture of your brooder?
    Sounds like you have too much heat.
    Ideally you should one warm spot in your brooder and let the rest be cool.
    Food and water needs to be in the cool area IMO as well, no need for it to be warm.
    Remove the chick to a cooler area and try to get some sugar water or electrolytes into it and see if that helps. It may be way overheated and dehydrated.

3. PerfectPlumage

It's a kiddie pool brooder. No heat lamp, I use a heating pad cave. That could be it.. The heater in the room is off now so hopefully it cools down. The odd thing is that if you hold the chick it feels very cold and of you hold one of the happy, healthy, active chicks they feel warm. I will try the sugar water again.

4. PerfectPlumage

The chick died.

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    It may have been a case of failure to thrive or a neurological/birth disorder especially if none of the other chicks are exhibiting and of the same signs/symptoms.
    If you are using the Momma Heating Pad method, you shouldn't have to heat the room they are in as well. The MHP should be sufficient heat for them.

6. PerfectPlumage

Another one, a small bantam EE, is now sick with the exact same symptoms.. But at least she can still stand a bit. All the larger chicks are okay.

I have the room heated because when it's not warm in the room they refuse to leave Momma Heating Pad.

7. PerfectPlumage

I mixed their feed with sugar water and got the EE to eat some of it and drink some water... She can walk but doesn't want to. If you set her down she just stands there and lets the big chicks step on her. I turned off the light so everyone would calm down and stop stepping on her. it worked, every bodies napping. But I still have no idea what is going on.

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post photos of your setup?
    You may need to re-evaluate your MHP temperature.
    What does their poo look like - any signs of bloody poo?

9. PerfectPlumage

She died. The rest have no bloody or runny poo. The heating pad I use doesn't have anything to change the temp and it doesn't get that hot at all. I have now noticed the sickness has only affected chicks weak at hatch. The larger chick had been weirdly inactive right after it hatched, the small one didn't seem to eat as much as the others. I will post pics.

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    Do you happen to have a thermometer in the MHP?
    If you have a local feed store you may want to see if they have any Nutri-Drench or Sav-A-Chick to add to their water. Sugar water is ok, for a couple of days, but since they are a bit inactive (most likely not eating much either) then the Vitamins/Electrolytes may be helpful.

You may want to post on the MHP thread with some of your concerns about the temperature, ask about the heating pad you are using, etc. If you are finding that it is not working for you, you may want to consider a heat lamp temporarily so you can get the temps regulated in the brooder. I have not personally used the MHP but I think it is a good concept, but if I'm not mistaken the pad needs to have adjustable/multiple heat settings and won't automatically turn off (constant heat). If yours does this, then you may need to get a different pad or go to "plan B" which usually is a heat lamp.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by