HELP SICK CHICK!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SugarOwl2003, Oct 10, 2016.

1. SugarOwl2003

SugarOwl2003 New Egg

Oct 10, 2016
    Hello,
    I have 3 sick chicks they are about 3 weeks old, two are unable to stand but are alert and sleep a lot. The third is very lethargic and he seams to not be able to use his legs. His head often hangs down and I am forced to make him drink water. All three of the chicks eyes are clear.They are Polish, Easter Egger, and Silkie.

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, sorry to hear about your chicks. Do you have other chicks in with them at the moment? If so, quarantine them immediately. Does their poop look normal? I really do not know a ton about chick diseases, I hope someone else can get you help FAST.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Make sure they are drinking plenty of water by dipping beaks or using a dropper, and adding some SaveAChick electrolytes to the water may help. Coccidiosis can be a problem that causes runny or bloody poops, sleepiness, standing hunched or puffed up, and weakness that can include leg problems. Dehydration can look like this too. Coccidiosis should be treated with Corid (amprollium) found at local feed stores. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by