Help! Sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WeeParsley8, Nov 5, 2016.

1. WeeParsley8

WeeParsley8 New Egg

Nov 5, 2016
    I have 3 chicks, approximately 4-5 weeks old. The black Australorp was always a bit behind the other 2 who are brown Isa. She used to roll back on her legs whilst eating at times but was still active. 2 days ago I went to see them in the morning and the black Australorp couldn't move, she just sat there while the others ran to see me. I separated her from the others, took her to the vet who said there are no injuries, and he didn't think it would be Marek's disease. He gave her an antibiotic and antiinflammatory injection and told me if this didn't work we'd have to put her down. It hasn't worked, and she really isn't better. She flaps her wings to get balance, walks backwards, falls to the side, and her neck and feet can spasm. She is eating and drinking well, but I have to bring it to her. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I'm really not wanting to have her put down and want to try everything I can to help her. Thanks in advance

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sounds like a neurological issue to me. Sadly, I'm not sure that there is too much that can be done. Hopefully someone else will be able to provide more positive feedback.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I agree with CTKen.....The pullet is now at the age where abnormalities will show....

Best of luck....

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC!
    Can you post a video or photos of her?
    Did the vet take a fecal sample to test for Cocci overload?

It's possible she could be suffering from Coccidiosis, symptoms include lethargy, loss of balance, reduction in eating/drinking, diarrhea with mucous or blood and puffed up appearance. Treatment is with Corid which can be found at your local feed store or through your vet.

As @CTKen suggested it could also be a neurological/developmental disorder or possibly a vitamin deficiency as well.
    If you have Cocci ruled out, then you can try giving her poultry vitamins, look for one that contains Vitamin E, Selenium and B vitamins.

Offer wet chick starter and make sure she is stay hydrated.

Keep us posted.

5. WeeParsley8

WeeParsley8 New Egg

Nov 5, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for the advice. Here are a couple of photos taken yesterday, there has been no improvement today and that's with giving her vitamins for the last 2 days. The vet didn't think it was Cocci, and her faeces has been normal albeit quite large as she isn't going often.

With a heavy heart I'm thinking maybe the vets advice will have to be the route I take I don't want her to be suffering [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    No pleasure in making such decisions, but part of being a responsible owner is to know when continued suffering is not an option [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]

It always a hard decision to make. She is such a cute sweet girl, thank you for sharing the photos.

8. WeeParsley8

WeeParsley8 New Egg

Nov 5, 2016
    Well, after a week of vitamins and lots of care, our little chick has the strength to stand up again.. and is starting to walk again. She still falls over at times, but she is moving around so much. May still be false hope, but I can't believe the difference in her, and hoping the recovery continues. Just wanted to give you an update as I appreciated your advice [​IMG]

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear she is recovering[​IMG]

Keep us posted on her progress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by