Help sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mjlovejoy1, Apr 5, 2018.

1. mjlovejoy1

mjlovejoy1 In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2018
    Yesterday I went out to check on chicks and one was laying there with its head tucked and getting walked on by the other chicks. I separated her from the rest, but she seemed to only want to sleep all day. Finally got her to eat and drink a small amount, but still laying around with head tucked. Today she has eaten more, but only drank a small amount. She is more vocal today also. When holding her it feels like when a cat is purring, not sure if it is a shiver or what. Her poop was a bit runny, but last one was solid again. Not sure what is going on. Any advice is welcome. I would really like to save this chick, as my son has taken to it. The last one that was his favorite died about 2 months ago and it was terrible for him.

2. What tempature is your brooder at? I don't know how old she is, but newly hatched chicks should be at 95°F, then every week drop 5°F until room tempature. If you are sure she isn't cold, you might try putting Sav-A-Chick electrolytes in her water and making her drink some more. I hope she gets better :)

3. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    Yes, sounds like she's cold to me! Also, possibly try dripping electrolyte water onto her beak by hand in attempt to get her to drink a little more.

4. mjlovejoy1

mjlovejoy1 In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2018
    Apparently our chick has wry neck. How do I get selenium? Is it just from electrolytes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: