Help sick chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oceanlegare, May 6, 2011.

1. oceanlegare

oceanlegare New Egg

May 6, 2011
    We got our day old chicks in the mail this past Tuesday and all have been doing grand. However, this morning our Buff Orpington seemed a little off. She is very lazy and has not eaten that I know of all day. She will take down some water though - mainly when we feed it to her. She just pooped on my husband's hand so her vent isn't sealed. The only thing that we can pinpoint that this chick has done that the other two have not is that she ate a fly about two days ago. Any advice? Many thanks.

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    If she is pooping that means she is in fact eating. She may be eating when you arent around. Is she walking around ok? What temp is your brooder? She maybe too hot or too cold.

Oh and [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  3. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    Sounds like the fly could be causing her a problem. Is she on grit yet? If they eat anything other than starter food they will need grit. You may be in the beginning stages of sour crop. How does her breath smell? If you can get her to vomit up her crop contents if necessary when you do give her water I would add some Poly Vi Sol to it. Good luck. I would monitor her and definitely give some Poly Vi Sol.

4. oceanlegare

oceanlegare New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Her brooder is 90 degrees, the other two chicks are very happy, playing, eating, drinking. We just separated her into another brooder and are headed to the store to get Poly Vi Sol. How do we get her to throw up? The starter grower feed we have is OMC, we were told it has grit in it. I may rinse some from the dirt in the backyard and put in her new brooder. Any other suggestions are helpful

5. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hard to say . . .

. . . have you guys had chicks before ?

I ask because sometimes new chickeners see things that aren't really problems.

I'd say keep and eye on this chick - if you see it eat and drink at least a little then I wouldn't worry about it.

In some cases, treating imaged problems is harder on a chick than just leaving it alone.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  6. oceanlegare

oceanlegare New Egg

May 6, 2011
    This is the first time we have had chicks but all 3 have been acting the same until today. The "sick" one just stands around and sways and always is trying to sleep. She doesn't squirm at all when we pick her up where she did just yesterday. Hopefully you are correct we are over analyzing the situation. She is drinking the Poly Vitamin supplement and hopefully this will help get her energy level back up to where she will start eating as furiously as the others. How about sand grains from the backyard. Put some in her food as grit to help avoid the sour crop?

7. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:How do you get a chick to vomit? Ive never had to do that.[​IMG]

8. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Is her poo runny? Bloody? Could it be cocci? Is that medicated feed or not?

9. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

bump . . . . how did things work out with this chick ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by