1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP Sick Chick ! :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken crazed 1o1, Jun 25, 2011.

1. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    I have a problem my favorite chick is sick it is around 4 weeks old its wings are droped to the ground and it is standing up asleep . It is in a corner and not very alert . I scared that my other chicks might get it . Thank to the people who reply.....

2. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Check for blood in the stool. May have Coccidiosis. If you see bloody stool pick up amprolium at your local feed store and medicate the water with it. They should have it. If not try sulmet. Other than that it's hard to say.

3. chicken crazed 1o1

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    sorry but what is a stool ?

4. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I would get down to the feed store and get a bottle of Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodium) a drinking water solution. Put all chicks in or from that brooder on it as well as remove the sick one/s to an isolation pen /brooder box to wait this out. If using shavings for bedding change it out and start fresh. Clean the feed pan too. These little ones can be so filthy. The bottle has great directions for mixing and length of treatment.

5. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Poop

6. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chicken crazed 1o1

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    I tried all the stuff you guys told be to use but It died Im so upset that was my favorite chick [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by