Help!! Sick chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by southerngal 88, Mar 1, 2013.

1. southerngal 88

southerngal 88 New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    Alabama
    I'm new to raising chicks & ordered 15 from a hatchery which arrived last Wednesday. I think they had gotten to cold because 2 were dead and 3 more went on to die. The rest seemed to be doing great until today. One of my buff Orpingtons is very lethargic just standing hunched up. She does seem a little smaller than the others but what worries me is she had diarrhea with her bottom all messy and now I notice some of the others have messy bottoms although they are still eating/acting normal. I have been keeping the chicks @ 90-95 temp with chick starter and water with sav-a-chic and changing their bedding daily. Should I not give them sav-a-chic? Is this still from them getting too cold when shipped? Please help! Any advice is greatly appreciated! I'm so scared I'm gonna lose them

2. gunshyvw

gunshyvw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Plymouth, Indiana
    So, I'm fairly new too, but unless the mess is red, it just sounds like pasty butt. Wipe it gently with a warm cloth.

If its red in color it might be coccidiosis. But somebody with experience with the disease should chime in about that.

Hope this helps!

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would treat them all for coccidiosis immediately. Classic symptoms. Use Corid, liquid or powder, doesn't matter. Look for it in the cattle section of any feed store. The sooner you can start treatment the better, the longer they go the higher the mortality rate.

Edited to add: You will not always see bloody poop with coccidiosis so don't depend on that for your diagnosis. It is one of the most common things a chick can come down with so any time I see chicks with the symptoms you describe I treat with Corid asap. In fact I keep in on hand at all times because coccidiosis moves very fast and it's lethal.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. southerngal 88

southerngal 88 New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    Alabama
    It is kinda red! I will go first thing in the morning and get stuff to treat for coccidiosis! Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If the one just started acting lethargic today hopefully she'll be ok until tomorrow. I don't know of anything you can do tonight other then keep her hydrated by hand feeding her water with a syringe or eye dropper.

The dose for the Corid 20% powder by the way is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 5 to 7 days. Make it up fresh every day. I don't recall the dose for the liquid but a quick search of this forum should turn up that info. Any chicks that are standing around hunched up and inactive should be hand fed the solution until you see them feeling better and eating/drinking on their own. I use a little eye dropper and give them a little every 2 or 3 hours. They usually are feeling better and drinking on their own within 24 hours.

Good luck, hope they do ok.

6. southerngal 88

southerngal 88 New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    Alabama
    Ok thank you so much for your help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by