HELP!!! Sick chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AtlantisPeeps, Aug 17, 2014.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    I just got my chicks shipped last week. They look around 5 weeks old. One of them, the lavender Orpington is quite small, and has yellow goo on her underbelly . She also has a runny nose. She is very fragile and weak. I'm worried! Help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sounds like a respiratory disease, maybe brought on by stress in shipping. How long were they in the mail? An antibiotic such as LS 50 or oxytetracycline in the water may help. Until you get them started, give some electrolyte water or some buttermilk. Chicks this age can also get coccidiosis quite easily. the symptoms are puffing up or hunching, lethargy, poor appetite, and diarrhea. Treatment for that is Corid (amprollium) in the water for 5 days, but they must take the water.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  3. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Thank you so much. She is puffing up, btw. She stands there all poofy with her head between her shoulders. It was overnight shipping. Now, is there anyway this could go away on its own? My family does not have the money to spend on treatment. Will just electrolytes help by keeping her hydrated?

4. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

No, they will need the medicine for her to get better.. It is only about $15-20 for a bag that will last you forever.. Or unless you have some friends that have chickens that are close by. Call some friends.. Or.. Your local feed store will have what you need. Explain your situation, they will have what you need.. Poor little thing.. :hugs

5. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    With a runny nose, I would be tempted to jump to respiratory infection which you will not get cured on your own.....I just had one of my chickens fall ill so I know what you are going through. Very luckily I found a vet in my area that knows chickens and put her on a course of antibiotics....if your chicken is no longer eating or drinking on her own, I would say vet time. Now. That's what made me go. Even after she got out of the vet, I had to use a dropper to administer electrolyte water down her beak...sick chickens will go downhill fast if they don't drink and eat...mites certainly don't help...they suck blood and weaken the immune system....respiratory infections can be dangerous because if it is contagious, you will need to keep a very close eye on the rest of your flock.....whoever sent you those chickens is horrible. Sellers should not be sending sick or weakened birds to people, that's wrong. I hope things improve, I'm really sorry to hear it....definitely keep her separated, watch your other birds and call a vet if you can...let us know what happens.

6. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Eggcessive has good advice, Speckledhen helped me....thank you Flockmasters [​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Either of these would work if the chick has coccidiosis. Most farm stores have them in the cattle section. 2tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder for 5-7 days in the water is the dosage. Price varies, but they may run $15-17.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Too late...She passed last night...R.I.P [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

Oh sweety, you are a great mom.. Things like this happen.. Condolences from our family. :hugs

10. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    X2 :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by