Help!!! Sick Chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cicknmama, Mar 18, 2015.

1. cicknmama

cicknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Just noticed this bloody spot this morning. Noticed she is scratching it raw and shaking her head. She seems irritated. Noticed when i inspected it closer, its haf of her neck. There are also dark skin patches. I applied some anti itch cream with melaleuca oil in it and she seems happier. Calm and no longer trying to itch. I plan on quarantining her. what is it and what can I do to help her?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check her skin all over for mites or lice and either white clumps of eggs or dark specks. She also could have been attacked and pecked by one of the others. Clean the area with an antiseptic soap, and apply an antibiotic ointment such as plain Neosporin, betadine, or BluKote. Mites can hide in the crevices of wood in the coop, and come out at night, so you might check her in the dark

3. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    UPDATE!!!!! My chick is not getting better. I have been cleaning the wound with peroxide solution and neosporin and I have sav a chick vitamins and probiotics in her water. I also have her quarantined. The would as a bad smell and it looks like the skin is dying. Could this be a staph infection???? Should I be giving her antibiotics? Please help, at my wits end and hate to see her in pain. She scratches at it so bad that she makes it bleed. This morning I found drops of blood all over her brooder from her scratching and shaking her head. She acts normal otherwise and is eating and drinking. Here are some updated pictures.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sorry they are upside down. Thought is corrected that before uploading them.

4. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Urgent!!!!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you cull the chick, dont prolong her suffering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by