Help,sick chicken,don't know what to do. A newbie here.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by All Fowled Up, Mar 14, 2015.

1. All Fowled Up

All Fowled Up New Egg

Mar 12, 2015

2. wyandottegirl

wyandottegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    What are the symptoms of your chicken. Is it not eating, weak coughing? If she is looking really bad then you might want to go and see a vet.[​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Can't help you without any symptoms listed. There are hundreds of things that can be wrong with a chicken. Also, need to know the age, if it's recently acquired from somewhere, etc.

4. All Fowled Up

All Fowled Up New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    9 months old. Found her sitting on coop floor. Not eating,drinking,laying. She's very thin & weak. Trying to give her antibiotic with a dropper, very difficult to do .Hard time trying to get her beek opened. Gave. Her some sugar water. Today she can barely hold up her head.Her poop is only water. Crop feels fine. Sh's starting to get bloated. She's an Appenzella Spitzenhab. Very precious to me,her name is Freckels. Thanks for any help.

5. adickenscoop

adickenscoop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    If I were you I would check out poultrydvm, they have a chicken symptom checker which is really helpful.

6. All Fowled Up

All Fowled Up New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Thank you I will.

7. All Fowled Up

All Fowled Up New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    I tried the poultry site that was recommended. My hen's illness could be from so many listings they have,I cannot pick just one to help me. Thank you.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She's very young for egg yolk peritonitis and/or internal laying, but it does happen. If she is bloated and retaining fluid that could be from infection like egg yolk peritonitis or she could have reproductive cancer or liver failure. I don't usually see cancers until a more advanced age, but the weight loss and the bloated abdomen fit that and several other serious things, none of which you can probably do anything about, unfortunately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by