Help!!! Sick chicken/heat exhaustion?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shawnacanaday, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Shawnacanaday

Shawnacanaday In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2018
    I have two chicks. Probably four months old. Swedish black hens.
    Two days ago one was clearly not feeling well. Yesterday she stayed with her sister, slowly, and her sister called her to the coop for the night and they went to bed together and everything.
    Today when we got home we couldn’t find her and she was under the shed.
    After pushing her out I was able to hold her for the first time as she was so weak.

I assumed she hadn’t been drinking water so I gave her some through a straw, because she wasn’t drinking even when I held some to her beak.

When she tried to walk away, she was very limp and staggering around. I figured she might be too hot and put her in shallow water covering her feet. Which were super hot. (It got to 90 today)

Now she’s laying inside my car with the ac on. Eyes closed breathing heavy.

She has had some watery poop which has left a small amount of white near her rear.
    And in the car on cardboard I could easily see it is very bright green and watery.

Do I need to research Illnesses or could it just be the warm summer days getting to her?
    These are my first girls and I didn’t realize how hard it would be to see one sick.
    Any input helps and is much appreciated. I’ll refresh this thread religiously as I try to help this girl through the night. Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    to BarbsGirls likes this.
  2. Shawnacanaday

Jul 12, 2018
    I forgot to add the biggest things. These girl usually run around crazy and would never let me near them.
    But this sick one will completely let me touch her and if I set her down she won’t even stand up.

3. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I wish I had some answers, but I don’t want to misguide you. Experts will weigh in soon.
    In the meantime, review the emergency threads and see if anything resounds with you.
    What part of the country do you live in? Do you have a high heat index (humidity?) humidity can affect hens and your hens at that young age are just starting to acclimate.
    Is she laying yet? Sometimes they don’t feel well as they are coming into lay.
    is she molting? They sometimes don’t feel well then too.
    Is it just her and her sister? Is she skinny? Could her sister be keeping her away from feed and water?
    Just wanted to give you some moral support. Sorry this is happening to you.

4. Shawnacanaday

Jul 12, 2018
    Thank you so much for replying and kind words.
    It’s the two of them and two ducks. But there’s plenty of water sources around the yard and I usually see them all getting enough.
    The two chickens get along fine and cuddle at night before they roost together usually.
    No signs of molting and neither of them have laid eggs yet.
    I don’t think she’s skinny. Shes always been the bigger of the two an still is.
    But she’s definiaty not eating or drinking today. Except the water I was able to slip her through a straw.
    We live in Washington state. So usually humid.

***i don’t know how I forgot to mention the mucus in her mouth! It was nearly gooped shut! Idk if it was from hiding away under the house for the afternoon and not drinking water or what. She also had it lining either side of her beak. I was able to clear it while she was drinking and everything.

5. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What does the inside of her her beak look like - do you see any canker, lesions or plaques?
    How long have you had her, how long has she been outside?
    Photos of her poop?
    What does her crop feel like? You mention you put water in her beak but she would not swallow - is the crop full, hard, squishy, bloated, etc.?

The ideal temperature to keep a sick chicken is around 75-80F so make sure she isn't getting chilled in the A/C.
    I would try to get fluids into her, but if she won't swallow there is not much you can do except tube fluids into her, but you need to make sure there is no blockage before you attempt to do that (crop/inside beak and throat check).

Mucous in the beak can be from dehydration, crop issues or something like canker (you will see yellow pus in the beak).

Sylie and Shawnacanaday like this.
  7. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Yay..wyorprock..

8. Shawnacanaday

Jul 12, 2018
    No yellow puss. Her mouth an tongue seemed normal. And she would swallow when I gave her a drop at a time. We sat together doing that for a while until she wasn’t wanting to open her mouth for it much anymore.

I’ve had her for about two months and she’s been outside since day one. And only in her coop at night.

It’s dark here now but I can take pictures of her poop in the morning.
    Wet, white and green.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    White and green poop is probably from not eating, but if possible take a sample to your vet for a fecal float.

Shawnacanaday likes this.
  10. Shawnacanaday

Jul 12, 2018
    I’m embarrassed to say that I didn’t even know what a crop was. These are my first chickens that’s why I only have two!
    I could go check her now. I’m sure she’s asleep.
    Should I wake her to find out or let her rest?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: