Help! Sick chicken, I don't know what to do?!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilifluff, Jan 6, 2017.

1. lilifluff

lilifluff Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone, please could you give me some advice.

I'm fairly new to keeping chickens and she is one of my first, I have a about 17 week old Brahma x mix chicken. Her symptoms are really confusing me, she seems to have no energy and is very docile. This is a chicken I normally have to chase around the garden to get to! She is often having green and runny diarrhoea, but also has normal poops and some even yellow at times! (I know they are her poops because i've kept her away form my other chicken) She has lost most of her coordination and can not drink unaided, she tries to eat but often misses the pellets. I have been giving her water from a syringe, I've also started feeding her through this method too. It's only been these past couple of days that she hasn't been able to drink or feed herself, although she has been off for a week now.

At first I thought she might have coccidiosis, so i have been putting coxiods into her water but this hasn't helped.

I'd really like to know what is going on, also am i doing the right thing by feeding her by hand?

I'd really really any help!

Thank you in advance!!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry to hear about your sick pullet. Is her comb red yet or still pale? She could be suffering from one of many different illnesses, such as cocciiosis, enteritis, or a problem with immunity. Mareks disease can cause loss of balance, lameness, and eye changes. How do her eyes look as far as their color being the same and pupil size and shape? Is there any cloudiness in the pupil? If she has coccidiosis, she will need to drink a good amount of the medicated water. Have you tried to get some samples of her droppings tested or have her seen by a vet? How does her crop feel? Does it empty overnight, or is it full and puffy or hard? Look her skin over especially under her vent for tiny bugs, which could be mites or lice. Mites cause severe anemia if untreated. Worms can also be a problem.

3. lilifluff

lilifluff Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I've checked her over, her comb is very pale and her eyes seem ok although it's hard to look at them both as she seems to have one always closed. I see no evidence of mites or lice, I haven't had her seen by a vet yet. I'm worried that they may want to cull her as there have been bird flu out breaks, If they did they would cull my other chicken too!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I haven't heard about any avian influenza outbreaks this year--you would probably have read about any in your local newspaper. There are many viruses and other illnesses in chickens, so sometimes hard to diagnose. Offer her some chopped egg or canned tuna, in addition to her usual feed with water mixed in to temp her. Be careful with syringing not to choke her. Tube feeding can be done with a feeding tube from a vet, or even a home fashioned tube and syringe. Here is a good thread to read with videos: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

5. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Currently the AI outbreaks are confined to Europe and UK. France is culling all flocks in the South - positive or not. If lilifluff lives in any of those countries, I would be hesitate too. Having said that, if I remember correctly most birds that are infected will die within 72 hours anyway [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Thanks for the info. Lilifluff could live in the UK since she mentioned using Coxoid. Since AI is such a serious illness, it is true that they will come in and cull birds to control it. In areas affected, it is wise to keep your chickens far out of reach of wild birds. Hopefully we won't have any this year in North American as in the past years.

1 person likes this.
  7. lilifluff

lilifluff Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Quote: Unfortunately I do live in the UK, there have been outbreaks very close to me. I just fear if i take her to the vets they will cull her with out hesitation or any thought and any chickens that live close to me. I know of two other chicken keepers but there are probably more.

I'm trying my best to keep wild birds at bay but you can't stop all of them.

Update: she's doing a little better! I've seen her eating on her own and drinking too!! This is a good sign i hope?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  8. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Well - I can certainly see why you are worried. On a slightly positive note, I believe most birds that get AI die within 72 hours. If she is starting to eat on her own that's a positive also. Do you have any poultry vitamin/electrolyte mix? If you aren't adding it to her water, I would do so. Get her to eat some higher protein if you can - mealworms or as Eggcessive said tuna (in water). Keep us posted and I really hope the AI misses you.....[​IMG]

9. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

I'm also in the UK so can sympathise with your situation although she doesn't seem to be exhibiting flu symptoms, I understand your concerns. Unfortunately I think it may be Marek's, but all you can do is support her immune system with good nutrition and see what happens. I would recommend Nutri drops either in her water or a couple of drops directly into her mouth for a vitamin boost and as the others have said plenty of good quality food including scrambled egg, tuna and even a little cat food. Green and yellow poop can both be associated with starvation and is caused by secretions of bile ....this might be as a result of being too weak to eat or being bullied from food, perhaps as a result of being ill or as a result of an impaction in the crop or gizzard. Do your chickens have access to grit? They need grit to break down any fibrous material and grains. It might be worthwhile fermenting her regular feed to make digestion easier.... basically just soak it in water for a few days so that it is a sloppy mush and starts to bubble and stir it every day, so that the top gets mixed in and just keep adding a bit more feed and water as you take some out. This will help promote the good bacteria in her gut.

If she becomes unable to stand, you could make her a chicken sling or hammock to support her in an upright position. If you need more info on that, just shout up.

Hope she continues to show signs of improvement.

Good luck

Barbara

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by