Help!! Sick Chicken - May not live through night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FeistyChikin, Aug 19, 2011.

1. FeistyChikin

FeistyChikin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Cove City, NC
    Sooo.... I am new to chickens so I will try my best to explain what is going on best that I can.

My rooster for the past couple of month has been kinda lethargic (he is about 24 weeks old). I thought it was due to the North Carolina heat. It is very hot lately. The only thing noticeable physically has been his comb which looks very dark red and almost looks like it melted or something. It is not the size it should be. It shrunk down to just a little thing and looks all old. He ate and drank and was lively in the cooler mornings and evenings and during the day just sat in the shade. He was lazier than the others, but I didn't think much of it.

But..... Today he did not come into the coop at night. I found him under the deck and when I grabbed him he didn't struggle. When I put him down he wouldn't stand. He just flopped down again like he couldn't stand. Otherwise he looks good. I don't know what the crop should feel like. His is definitely full, but I wouldn't say hard. I don't know what to do for him. The only other thing that I can think of is that he did make a motion like he wanted to throw up often (that was before today). Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. FeistyChikin

Aug 2, 2011
    Cove City, NC
    Since he didn't go into the coop tonight, I am thinking he may not make it through the night. He doesn't have any energy at all.

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I am not sure but it sounds like he is dehydrated. You should bring him in and try to get him to drink some electrolytes...gatorade, pedialyte, etc. I'm not sure what else is wrong. A couple months sounds awfully long to be down...that's about half his age isn't it? I would start with getting him out of the heat and getting him some fluids. Also, have you checked him for parasites? Maybe mites/lice are literally sucking him dry? These are only guesses, hopefully someone else will chime in and help. But, I would start preventive therapy with the electrolytes!

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Unfortunately by the time they are that sick they don't usually do too well. I would bring him in and check him well for mites and lice. Dust with seven dust for them. I guess you haven't noticed his poop? Did he make that motion often? If you stick a q-tip down his throat and pull it out you can see if he has gapeworm. By morning his crop should empty...if not then you would need to investigate crop issues. I hope he makes it through the night. You need a little time to watch him to figure out what his issue is. I'm sorry.

5. FeistyChikin

Aug 2, 2011
    Cove City, NC
    If I stick a Q-tip down his throat what will gapeworm look like?

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Little y-shaped things.

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    He needs cooling off fast. Dunk him in water, then set him in front of a fan. Separate so the others don't pick on him. Vitamins, electrolytes, fruit, force fluids if he is not drinking. Good luck.

8. FeistyChikin

Aug 2, 2011
    Cove City, NC
    ok will do... thanks for everyones help

9. FeistyChikin

Aug 2, 2011
    Cove City, NC
    I looked him over and don't see any mites or lice, but starting to wonder about his crop. It feels like a grapefruit size. It is squinchy, not rock hard. Is that normal?

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Crop sounds normal. Sounds like heat stress. Cool him down and get some water in him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by