Help! Sick chicken or broody?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by manukannijoy, Aug 21, 2016.

1. manukannijoy

manukannijoy Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2016
    Melbourne, FL
    Hello! One of our EEs, she's probably at least 18 months old and is currently molting (we bought her just 3 weeks ago). She had been doing very well but 2 days ago, i noticed that she would ait in her nest for a while but then would come out and get down on the run. However, she would just stAy under a chair and not move. She wouldn't even run for treats! I am afraid she is going to starve herself to death. Her stool is watery dark green. Any idea what might be bothering her? Thank you.

2. widelacing

widelacing Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Oak Harbor, WA
    She may be egg bound which means you need to act fast. Search for other forums on here on that subject. Let us know how she gets on!

3. widelacing

May 18, 2016
    Oak Harbor, WA
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of her?

Since she is new to your property and if she is staying fluffed up and huddling, my first thought is Coccidiosis.
    You can get Corid at the feed store.

Separate her so you can monitor her food/water intake.

Other possibilities - The green poop is most likely from not eating. Feel her crop - is it hard, soft, squishy, empty- any smelly breath?

Since she is molting, she is most likely not laying eggs at this time, but check her over to make sure her abdomen is not swollen or fluid filled.

Keep her hydrated - if you decide to treat for cocci, she can drink as much corid water as she wants - corid is mild and won't hurt - offer wet feed and some extra protein like scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. Don't forget to make grit available.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.

Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
    After she finishes treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Let us know how she is doing.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  5. manukannijoy

Jul 31, 2016
    Melbourne, FL
    This is great. She is still sluggish but I saw her take a bite on white bread and drank a bit. She is up and walking and picked on grass as well. She goes back under the seat but does not "sit" down. Just stays up. When we opened the coop this morning, she was sitting on the drop board and not perched on the roosting bar. She came out of the coop on her own. I have not felt her yet but I will go ahead and buy Corid. Will it hurt if I give it to her and it turns out it is not what is wrong?

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    No, the Corid is mild and it is not an antibiotic. It won't hurt if it turns out not being cocci.

Try to encourage her to at least drink - they can become dehydrated fairly quickly.

Wondering since she is still "new" don you think she is somewhat hiding from the others - or being kept from the water and feed? You may want to consider setting up another water and feed station, sometimes higher up hens will keep newcomers away from them - in turn - they don't get the water and nutrition needed.

Just a thought.

7. manukannijoy

Jul 31, 2016
    Melbourne, FL
    Good news! She is doing much better today. Yesterday, she started to slowly mingle with the others but still slow when I come out with food. Today, she is much better and actually run to me every time I went out. I did buy Corid just in case. Thank you all!!

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear she is doing better.

9. widelacing

May 18, 2016
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by