Help! Sick chicken throwing up, wattle "withering"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickie13, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Chickie13

Chickie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    It's been about three-four days since I noticed one of my chickens is sick. I was putting the chickens up one night using their treats, and one of them, Daisy, didn't come running like she always did. I found her in a bush, and she wouldn't come out or walk. I carried her out, still she wouldn't walk so I set her on her perch in the coop where she threw up clear liquid and a smallish black worm-like thing. The next day she wouldn't leave the coop and threw up again, it looked like she'd eaten an egg or something. Then, today, she is still staying in the coop and her wattle is turning gray on the edges and shrinking almost as if it is withering away. She eats her treats if I throw them to her but only walks slowly and clumsily. Her poo is green and dry and it's sticking to the feathers under her vent. Should I separate her from the other chickens? She is about 2 years old. Please help me I don't know what's wrong!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She sounds *very* sick. Sick birds are almost always dehydrated and hypothermic, so you should bring her inside where it's warm, 80-85 degrees is the ideal temperature for most sick birds.

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did she throw up after you touched her crop, or just on her own? Could she have eaten something that has caused a blockage, maybe in her gizzard? Does the liquid she spit up have a bad or sour odor, as in sour crop?

4. Chickie13

May 26, 2013
    She threw up after I picked her up, the second time was on her own however. I was pretty close to her when she threw up but didn't smell anything. She is eating some but weighs less than normal. There aren't any signs of a blockage, and she seems to be doing a bit better. I separated her from the others (in case it's a disease or something contagious, and so she can't eat any raw eggs like it seems like she's been doing). She was walking around in her pen today and hasn't eaten much of her TSC feed but I gave her a mixture of chopped boiled egg, yogurt, and some lettuce and mealworms which I blended the normal feed into so she would eat enough. My family doesn't want to pay to take her to the vet, so I guess I'll just keep her water clean and make sure she gets enough to eat. Is there anything else I should do?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens can have a slowed down crop whenever they get sick. If it's full of liquid, it will easily come out if your massage it. Is her crop feeling more normal? I would note the color and consistency of her poops, and watch her for other symptoms. I would worm her with fenbeendazole (SafegUard Goat Wormer or Panacur) 1/2 ml orally, then re[eat in 10 days to rule worms out as a cause. 2 year olds don't normally get coccidiosis, unless they are exposed to a new strain from being on new soil or from a new flockmate, but it could be a possibility. Enteritis is another possibility is she is having dark smelly diarrhea.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Weigh her every day and that will tell you if she's getting worse or better. If she starts losing weight you'll know she getting worse. I use a kitchen scale to weigh mine.

-Kathy

7. Chickie13

May 26, 2013
    So I should massage her crop? I'm going up to check on her now to weigh her and bring her some treats. She hasn't had diarrhea, her poop is more on the dry side and the color is going back to normal.

8. Chickie13

May 26, 2013
    She stills weighs less than the others, hasn't seemed to eat much food, and has been drinking some. her stool looks completely normal but when she breathes, she breathes with her mouth open. Could she be too hot? She has some shade but I think I'll put some wood planks over the top of the cage to keep her cooler.

9. Chickie13

May 26, 2013
    I haven't had time to be on here, but update: She passed away about 3 weeks ago :(

10. deyemond

deyemond New Egg

Jun 10, 2013
    Everything you posted I am going through right now...losing weight, withering wattle, not eating, throwing up liquid. I have her soaking in the kitchen sink right now in warm water. She seems to really like it. I then dry her off with my hair dryer before I put her back into "The chicken hospital." I know it's been almost a year, but I'm sorry that your hen died. I've tried everything too and I can't take my hen to the hospital either.i just keep her as comfortable as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by