Help! - Sick chicken with gelatinous/bloody droppings.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bwah bwua bluck, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Bwah bwua bluck

Bwah bwua bluck New Egg

Oct 25, 2014
    Hi eveybody,
    Sorry for not introducing myself properly. Until now I've always managed to find the information on this site I needed without asking.
    Now I've got a sick chicken though I need help.
    Yesterday Priscilla seemed fine but she didn't come out of the coop with the others this morning. I checked inside the coop and noticed a little bit of blood under her perch.
    Today she won't eat or drink, even treats. She seems to have dhiaroea, but not vent gleet. She is very lethargic too.
    This afternoon was cleaning the crap from her tail feathers when she excreted a dropping that was half clear and gelatinous, half bloodly and gelatinous. Not a huge amount, but not at all normal.
    Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with her, and what I can do to help her?
    She was the first chicken in our flock and is the children's favourite so I dread to lose her.
    Thank you for your help.
    (",)

2. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    My guess is cocci. Treat with antibiotics, like amprolium.

Type "cocci" into the Search box for more info and treatment instructions.

3. Bwah bwua bluck

Bwah bwua bluck New Egg

Oct 25, 2014
    Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.
    Having done a quick bit of research here and on google I agree that it looks like Coccidiosis.
    I've ordered some Harkers Coxoid Coccidiosis Treatment for Pigeon from Amazon.
    Pigeons are a bit like chickens aren't they?

I hope so because the vets over here aren't very sympathetic towards chickens on account of it being far cheaper to by a new one than to treat a sick one!

I hope she'll be able to hang on until it gets here. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help her in the mean time.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Where are you located? I would suggest you visit the nearest farm supply store (ie Tractor Supply, etc.) today and pick up the appropriate treatment (Corid is a common one) -- ordering something is not really a good option when dealing with cocci as you want to start treatment ASAP and waiting for delivery is generally going to take too long for there to be a good outcome for the bird. `

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm guessing you're in the UK? Not positive, but I think someone found a local store that sold Harkers, so you might want to call around rather than wait. If I were you, I'd also look into getting a wormer. Flubenvet is what many in the UK use, I think.

-Kathy

Edited to add: Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  6. Bwah bwua bluck

Bwah bwua bluck New Egg

Oct 25, 2014
    I'm from the UK but living in France now. I have no idea where I might be able buy the medicine that I need around here and I'm not sure that my language skill are up to the task of finding out either. I would normally ask my French girlfriend to help but she's working overseas at the moment.
    I gave Priscilla some probiotics and honey mixed with water over the weekend and she seems to have perked up a bit now. She came out of the coop and was pecking around with the other chickens when I left for work this morning so I'm hopeful that she will last until the medicine gets here.
    I've read in another post that milk can be given as a purge, so I will try that too.
    I have some worming granules that I mix into their food from time to time as a preventative. I suppose now would be a good time for another dose.
    Thanks for your help.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @Suzie lives in France, maybe she can help you?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/36405/suzie

-Kathy

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    If you have a friendly farmer living near you...Baycox is what they use in cattle for cocccidiosis in France...you may be able to "borrow" a little of this treatment from them...most farmers have some.....your Vet will have Baycox but it is normally sold in huge containers...worth a try maybe taking a note to the Vet with the word Baycox on it and ask if they sell small amounts for your poulet...

Good luck!

Suzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by