Help! Sick chicken.

Leigti

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 22, 2015
Walla Walla WA
Hello, I have a sick chicken. This is my first sick chicken so I really don't know what to do. She is about One year old. And Easter Egger from a hatchery. She is very skinny and is not eating much. Her crop is almost empty. I have noticed the last couple days that she is sort of hanging out away from the rest of the chickens. Tonight I found her laying in the nest box instead of up with the others on the roost.
I brought her in the house and put her in a dog crate, airline style for a little privacy, with some soaked food and water with electrolytes and probiotics.
I really don't have the money to take her to the vet. Any ideas? None of the other chickens seem sick.

I am afraid to say that The chicken won't make it. BUT if it does manage to make it Then keep it AWAY from the others. IT is better to lose one than more. Have you changed their diet or have you exposed the Chicken to a health hazard Because that could have been the problem. I am sorry That I have no clue what to do with the chicken.

Last edited:
I haven't change their diet. None of the other seem sick. They free roam in the backyard and I lock them up at night but I don't think they've been exposed to anything nasty.

Hello, I have a sick chicken. This is my first sick chicken so I really don't know what to do. She is about One year old. And Easter Egger from a hatchery. She is very skinny and is not eating much. Her crop is almost empty. I have noticed the last couple days that she is sort of hanging out away from the rest of the chickens. Tonight I found her laying in the nest box instead of up with the others on the roost.
I brought her in the house and put her in a dog crate, airline style for a little privacy, with some soaked food and water with electrolytes and probiotics.
I really don't have the money to take her to the vet. Any ideas? None of the other chickens seem sick.

When was the last time she laid an egg?
How does her abdomen feel - normal, hard, soft, bloated/fluid filled?
Have you wormed your flock?
What does her poop look like?

It could be several things. From worms to some type of internal laying/reproductive disorder.
You did the right thing in separating her for some TLC and so you can monitor her.

Her abdomen feels soft. I don't know when she laid an egg the last. I know it has been in the last four or five days though. She hasn't pooped yet in this dog crate so I don't know what her poop looks like. I have never wormed my flock.

She free range is in the yard. And eats pelleted grower feed with Oystershell on the side. I usually ferment the feed. Not always. And every night I toss out some mealworms and birdseed and sunflower seeds.

Is she eating and drinking now, since you separated her?
Does she seem to be in any distress, trouble breathing, etc.?

If she won't eat, try to keep her hydrated. They can dehydrate quickly. Her normal food sounds fine to me, but if you find she won't eat that you can try some hard boiled/scrambled egg.

I haven't noticed the other chickens chasing her off or anything. She just ate a little bit of raw egg. And she ate a couple little pieces of string cheese. She does not seem to be in any distress. Not panting or anything. Right now she is laying down looking content. I go in and stare at her every couple minutes. Maybe if I leave her alone she'll relax although she is looking pretty relaxed right now.
To hydrate her do I just squirt some water down her throat or will she choke on it? Or aspirate?

Back
Top Bottom