1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

HELP! SICK CHICKEN

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zcruzer, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Zcruzer

Zcruzer In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    Hi guys, so I need help. One of my hens was acting strangely this morning, so i brought her inside because I thought it was cold, and she is doing better. BUT, she still isn't eating or drinking much, and is lethargic. She isn't pooping much either. Her stomach area seems somewhat swollen and bloated. I was thinking maybe she was egg-blocked... I could be wrong though... what are your opinions? Any advice for what i should do??? I cannot afford vet care... I lost my job recently and got another one but it is minimum wage so i literally have no money for vet care. Any thing i can do at home???

2. Skipper81

Skipper81 " For my yoke is easy and my burden is light "

Feb 11, 2018
    Montana
    When did she last lay an egg?
    Is she walking funny like a penguin?

3. Zcruzer

Zcruzer In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    She's rarely walking, and when she does its for short distances... She moves her legs really slowly, but other than that her gait is normal... And i have no clue when she laid an egg last... I have 10 other chickens who all lay eggs.

4. Skipper81

Feb 11, 2018
    Montana
    Worms can cause swelling and bloating can you look at her poop

5. Skipper81

Feb 11, 2018
    Montana
    @drumstick diva can probably help or knows someone who can i don't think she's eggbound because she has a few signs of other things

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry your hen is not doing well:hugs

From your description - having a swollen/bloated stomach, not eating/drinking, lethargic and not pooping much - I would suspect that she has an internal laying/reproductive disorder. Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer and tumors are, unfortunately, common in laying hens. Symptoms include - lethargy, weight loss, loose droppings, swelling in the abdomen, not being able to walk/loss of balance, crop problems and sometimes difficulty breathing.

If the abdomen is bloated with fluid, then sometimes the fluid can be drained to help give them some relief for a short period of time. Antibiotics may also help for a short period of time as well.

See if you can get her hydrated. Direct dose or add some poultry vitamins to her water. Once she is drinking, then see if she will eat a little something for you. If she perks up a little, then you can try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath to help soothe her and see if that will get things moving along if she is still not pooping (not pooing can be due to swelling in the abdomen).

I'm sorry, I wish I had better answers for you. Please keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: